Using switch layers to animate expression changes

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

worcesters

Using switch layers to animate expression changes

Post by worcesters »

Hi There,

I am relatively new to this animation package so i'm probably overlooking something really obvious but I wonder if someone could point me in the correct direction?

I want to have a switch layer containing lots of different types of eyes (normal, surprised, sleepy, bloodshot, etc etc). At different points along the timeline I have added keyframes and then selected a different set of eyes. But whatever set i select last seems to be the only ones that display throughout the animation. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there another way of selecting which sub layer displays between keyframes?

Thanks for any help
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

If you right click on the switch layer, a menu appears. You can then choose which switch layer you want at any particular keyframe.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
worcesters

Post by worcesters »

brilliant, thanks mate!
Phillysteak

Post by Phillysteak »

thank God for this forum! there is NOTHING in the Help>users manual>switch layers that explains this. Don't get me wrong the users manual is great. just sometimes misses things like this.

quote: users manual

You don't have to use a data file to work with Switch layers - you can also control them manually from within Anime Studio. To control which sub-layer is displayed at any frame in your animation, just right-click on the Switch layer in the Layers panel. A pop-up menu will appear that lets you choose which sub-layer to display.

ooops my bad. over looked... :roll:
myles

Post by myles »

If you prefer an on-screen drop-down menu rather than right-clicking, you can also use the Switch Layer tool in the tools palette.

Here's the manual entry:
Switch Layer

This is a specialized tool for use with Switch layers only. This tool has no effect if you click and drag in the workspace. What it does is supply a popup menu in the tool options area that lists all the sub-layers of a switch group. You can change the active layer by selecting it from the menu.
Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx