Part of character behind object...part in front!

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mortschultz

Part of character behind object...part in front!

Post by mortschultz »

I have a character sitting at a booth in a restaurant. My table layer is on top of my character layer. This is good because it hides my character's legs which I want, however, it also hides my character's arms which I want to show on top of the table. If I move the table layer below the character layer, then my entire character is visible and that is not good. Does anybody know how I can get around this problem?
human

Re: Part of character behind object...part in front!

Post by human »

mortschultz wrote:I have a character sitting at a booth in a restaurant. My table layer is on top of my character layer. This is good because it hides my character's legs which I want, however, it also hides my character's arms which I want to show on top of the table. If I move the table layer below the character layer, then my entire character is visible and that is not good. Does anybody know how I can get around this problem?
This sort of problem is not unique to AS--it's common to any graphics application that features graphic layers.

Based on my experience with other applications, the simple-ist solution is to duplicate those parts which sometimes need to hide other objects, and switch the duplicates' visibility on and off.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

You could also use depth sorting and z translation of layers.

All of the layers, including the characters body parts should be inside a bone layer. If the character is in its own bone layer then just drag the table layer and any other layers inside the character bone layer.

I the bone layers properties click on the Depth Sort tab and turn on sort by depth (leave sort by true distance unchecked).

Arrange the layers in a "default" order. Probably table layer under the arms layers to start with.

On frame 0 or 1 key the layer translation of the table and arms so that the table is below the arms. I have trouble with very small numbers so I generally turn of the ""Use 3D camera" in the project settings and use larger z increments.

On frame 0 set the arms to 0.02 in the z translation axis. Set the table to 0.01. When you want the table to go above the arms key the z tanslation to 0.03 for the table USING STEP INTERPOLATION. That is important. Use step for this type of translation otherwise the layer will change depth at a spot between the key frames.

Here is a sample file:

http://www.lowrestv.com/moho_stuff/foru ... _sort.anme

-vern