Changing layer levels

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

BunyanFilms

Changing layer levels

Post by BunyanFilms »

Hi
I have recently installed the 5.5 AS to take advantage of the ability to move layers above or below each other during the animation... but how is this done. :oops:
When I move a layer no key frame is created and I can't find a timeline function to indicate a key frame.
Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry if someone has already addressed this.
Antony
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

I could be wrong, but I think you are jumping the gun here. To the best of my knowledge, this is a (keenly awaited) feature of the yet-to-be-released next upgrade.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Genete

Post by Genete »

You're right Jahnocli. Animatable Layer positions would be a feature for the next update.
Anyway, with current version you can make your layer animation using the "Sort layers by Depth" option.
To do that over root layers you must set on that option at Project Settings. On the other hand, to do that for child layers inside a Group or Bone Layer you should go to Layer Settings dialog and in the Depth Sort tab, check on the "Sort Layers by Depth" option.
Now you can modify the "Z" position of the layer during timeline and they would go back and front according to their relative Z values.

Extract from the built in help:
Depth Sort
This tab is only available for group and bone layers. Depth Sort has two controls that can be used with Moho's 3D features. The "Sort layers by depth" checkbox allows sub-layers to move in front of and behind each other during an animation. Normally, layers are drawn in the order they appear in the Layers panel. However, with this option turned on, layers are displayed according to how far they are from the camera. See the Tutorials section for an example of using this feature. Typically, layers are sorted by their depth from the camera, but if you're trying to create a 3D object using multiple Moho layers (like a cube or pyramid), you may want to turn on "Sort by true distance". This tells Moho to sort layers by the distance from the camera to the layers' origins, rather than by depth. Usually this option will be left un-checked.
http://www.lostmarble.com/moho/manual/layerwnd.html

Please read the built in help and do the tutorials. They are truly worth.
-G
muuvist

Depth sorting is unreliable

Post by muuvist »

I've had some problems with depth sorting. It appears to work fine if you give your layers a plus or minus value but when you reset one or several layers to 0 they don't necessarily go back to their original positions. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
BunyanFilms

Post by BunyanFilms »

Ok
It looks like I'm too keen and jumping the gun. Thanks guys.
Now resorting to duplicating layers or depth sorting.
:roll:
Genete

Re: Depth sorting is unreliable

Post by Genete »

muuvist wrote:I've had some problems with depth sorting. It appears to work fine if you give your layers a plus or minus value but when you reset one or several layers to 0 they don't necessarily go back to their original positions. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
I've notice the same. But how would AS know what is your desired "same Z value" position?
It seems to be very simple. AS only change layer's sort when it found a layer is above or under other one. If both have the same value then AS don't change nothing and leave it as they were from its history.
Other user could complain just for the opposite behaviour.
-G
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I've found that using 0 doesn't work so well. For some reason AS will use 0 or 0.0 and for some reason they behave differently don't ask me why.

Best bet if doing layer sorting with z depth is to use numbers OTHER than 0 unless the layer in question doesn't change order.

Also if layers have the same z value they will use the stacking order in the layer palette. For example if you have layers all with -0.01 they will remain in the same stacking order as the order in the layer palette but they will all now be at -0.01.

I can't wait for that layer order animation feature.... I only hope that they also put in script access for it.

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

Also if layers have the same z value they will use the stacking order in the layer palette
No. They use the last sort done by the program.
If there is a cross in depth of the layers then it perform the Z sort. if not change then it maintain the last change.
It is weird. If you change the name of the layer and all they have the same Z but different position due to the last change, then the layers are reordered according to is palette order. It is so strange.

I cannot wait also for the Layer sort for the next release.

-G
Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

Until we get the new layer functionality, I think duplicating the layer and turning its visibility on/off is the way to go.
Dave
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

No. They use the last sort done by the program.
Dagnabbit you are right!!!

I think this is the problem I had scripting the z-depth using "0" or "0.0". When I used "0.0" the layer WOULD change order correctly BUT it would automatically change back to "0" and mess it up again.
Banterfield wrote:Until we get the new layer functionality, I think duplicating the layer and turning its visibility on/off is the way to go.
Nah... I will just use a number other than 0. That is still way easier than using multiple layers. Set all your layers to the same "non-zero" value and make sure you don't use 0 to change order.

-vern
Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

heyvern wrote: Nah... I will just use a number other than 0. That is still way easier than using multiple layers. Set all your layers to the same "non-zero" value and make sure you don't use 0 to change order.

-vern
I'd be concerned that you'd notice the scaling of the layer if you moved it back on the z. Maybe it's not an issue if you have 3d camera turned off...

[edit] or if you make a very small decimal movement on the z(?).
Dave
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I always turn off "3D" camera when using z-depth changes. This eliminates the "scaling" completely. Works like a charm.

You can use any z value you want. I have started to use larger values to give me more range.

-vern
Banterfield

Post by Banterfield »

Not to drift off topic, but did we get a release date for the new version with the layer sorting stuff?
Dave