fix browser not playing Flash audio [solution within]

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mooncaine

fix browser not playing Flash audio [solution within]

Post by mooncaine »

This fixed a recurrent problem: I'd boot my Mac and find that no browser could play audio from Flash, and even VLC refused to play the audio.

Although I'm rendering to QuickTime, my final format is Flash Video, and I need to hear it, of course, and ensure it'll work for the client, too.

Upshot: Go to Audio MIDI Setup program, and make sure the audio output being used is set to 44.1KHz sample rate....

I think this happens because I use a laptop, and sometimes plug in an external audio interface. OSX gets confused, I guess, and changes my settings without telling me....

--moonie
------------------------------------------------------------
fredericiana » Blog Archive » Flash video and no sound on OSX

http://fredericiana.com/2006/06/14/flas ... ment-78401

Flash video and no sound on OSX

One of the newer technologies on the web are the flash video players used by Google Video and YouTube.

Every once in a while though, on Mac OS X it can happen that these Flash video players don’t have sound anymore.

It is pretty hard to figure out why, and the solution is quite random, but on macosxhints I found a comment mentioning that it could be a sampling rate problem:

1. open /Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup
2. check the properties for Built In Output.
3. It might be set to 96KHz. Change it to 44KHz and audio in Flash will return immediately.

Now, I don’t know what software it is messing up that setting, but I am glad it can be fixed.
-=-
MacBook Pro 17", 2.16Ghz, 2GB RAM, 5400rpm 120GB HD
ASP 5.5 updated August 2007
OSX 10.4.9