Lip synch problem

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

darkmatter

Lip synch problem

Post by darkmatter »

When I put the .dat file on the switch, I play the animation, but when the mouth was supossed to go "rest", it goes "etc". Why does this happen? I think i made all the steps right.

Edit: Well i tried with other .dat file, and this time it goes "U" when was supossed to go "rest"... What's happening???
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Have you changed the names of the layers in the switch? They have to have the names that match the phonemes from Papagayo.

-vern
darkmatter

Post by darkmatter »

It's all the same. Here, take a look:

darkmatter

Post by darkmatter »

Please, no one knows what the problem is?

Here it is the anme file http://www.mediafire.com/?9nynvchidvx
Genete

Post by Genete »

I'm not sure but try to put the "rest" layer at the bottom.
-G
darkmatter

Post by darkmatter »

Genete wrote:I'm not sure but try to put the "rest" layer at the bottom.
-G
I tried and still give me problems :S
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Holy cow!

How do you keep track of all those nested layers? ;)

I don't know what the problem is. It seems fine to me.

I only checked ONE of the lip sync layers. There are so many of them... are they ALL causing trouble? Is it just one?

It could be an issue with the number of layers and the nesting but that's just a shot in the dark.

It could be that it just seems like the phonemes aren't right but without the dat file I can't test it on a file I know works.

If you could take the actual switch layer/s you are having a problem with. Take out all the other layers, import the .dat file and upload that as a simple test to look at it could be helpful.

Post the .dat file as well (don't need the audio). I can look at it in a text editor and see if it corrupted in some way. Or maybe there is something in it causing this problem.

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

My god!
Have you considered to reduce the amount of layers!!!
40 switch layers nested one inside other!!! and many of them have all the phonemes!!!

Regarding to Papagayo issue I have no idea but for sure that setup will give you a lot of head pains!!!

Try to reduce the numbers of layers!! Only for this character you have a 3.5 MB file! Imagine if you have half a dozen!

Good luck!
-G

(OOPS crossed posts...)
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

(OOPS crossed posts...)
No, that is good. I wanted to say something about all the layers but was afraid to for some reason. But I think all the complexity is probably causing the problem if there really is one. With all of those switch layers who knows what might be showing up when it shouldn't.

Yes... holy cow! Way too many layers. I figured out your set up and realized what a nightmare it will be to keep track of it. I got completely lost. After importing a test dat file I couldn't find which layer it was in. I had to click them all open again to figure out which one had changed.

3.5 mb and THERE IS NO ANIMATION! Once you start adding key frames the files will get even bigger.

The left and right versions of the head could easily be handled by horizontal flipping of the layer instead of a duplicate layer with duplicate lip sync... duplicate bones.

The character is so simple a lot of duplicate layers could be eliminated by changing the positions of certain body parts using actions. You could "create" a side view using an action on just one main layer.

Anyway... sorry to go on and on about it. I think maybe your switch layer problems could be related to this. That is why I thought looking at JUST the problem layer on it's own would help.

EDIT:

I checked all of the switches used for lip sync. They are all fine and set up correctly. I do not have an answer. They should work.

-vern
darkmatter

Post by darkmatter »

But, if i use a flip to side views, the mouth won't flip with the head :?

EDIT: Well, i put the mouth layer alone, in another file, and it still gives the problem. :( You don't have even an idea of what it could be?
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

But, if i use a flip to side views, the mouth won't flip with the head
Yes it will. If the mouth switch is a child of the layer being "flipped" it flips with it.
EDIT: Well, i put the mouth layer alone, in another file, and it still gives the problem. You don't have even an idea of what it could be?
No clue whatsoever. I am at a total loss.

It must be your .dat file. If you could post the .dat file maybe I could figure out where the problem is.

-vern
darkmatter

Post by darkmatter »

Well, i created a NEW file, a made new draws, only one layer, a new .dat file... and the same problem... What is going on?

http://www.mediafire.com/?7mz10xbmfyb here it is the .dat file.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

What exactly is the problem?

I looked at the .dat file and it matches the phonemes/keys in the AS switch layer. It is working.

Here is the dat file contents:

Code: Select all

MohoSwitch1
1 O
5 MBP
9 AI
13 etc
17 AI
21 etc
25 WQ
29 AI
33 etc
37 AI
41 etc
49 O
53 AI
57 etc
61 AI
65 etc
It could be that the papagayo file isn't "correct". Or maybe the FPS doesn't match. If the papagayo file is set to a different FPS than the AS file the lip sync is... out of sync.

-vern
darkmatter

Post by darkmatter »

Whow, i think i figured what the problem was...

There was no space between the words, so there was no space for the "rest" layer... This was the problem right?

And about the amounbt of layers, I will eiminate some layers that can be done in other ways, the i will post the anme file so you can tell me if there is anything more to eliminate :wink:

Thnks for the help.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I had a funny feeling that might be it. I should have mentioned it right away but it was sort of in the back of my head.

I often add in "extra" keys on the switch after importing the dat file. Especially at the beginning and end. Papapgayo doesn't always start or "close" a phrase with the rest phoneme so I stick one in there.

Yeeehaaa! Glad we figured it out.

Sorry to say... I was 100% sure it was user error. ;)

http://www.lowrestv.com/moho_stuff/foru ... oblem2.mov

-vern