Photoshop And ASP5 Animation

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

dlangdev

Photoshop And ASP5 Animation

Post by dlangdev »

I'm about to get to the next experiment with ASP5, this time using Photoshop and ASP5 to do some interesting animation.

Basically, my question is: Will this idea of setting the character, props and backgrounds--all hand drawn--in Photoshop work nicely in ASP5?

Here is a sample drawing I made, took me about two hours...still not finished with that, i'm seeing this kind of drawing style will consume many hours.

Here is the original size...

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=844974036&size=o

I'm planning on using a large frame format, still not decided how big the dimension at the moment, could be 720 or 1020.

Also, if you have done PS and ASP5 before, how was your experience?

Thanks.
jhbmw007

Post by jhbmw007 »

Hope you have a fast computer- I just got done with a project that had high-res jpeg backgrounds and it slowed down the program big time. Then again my computer sucks... What really sucks is the backgrounds were made in Flash and were vector to begin with, but due to AS's lousy AI import I had to bring them in as raster.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

thanks for the info.

i'll post the output here later, and also put it on wiki as well.

i'm seeing the work somewhat similar but not close enough to this tutorial...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pWrwlg7N36I
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

uhm...

it seems that i need more help in the following:

1) a howto on working with video footage and ASP5 drawn character.

2) a howto on working with video footage and Photoshop rendered bitmaps.

i did look into this thread ...
viewtopic.php?t=8441&start=0&postdays=0 ... ght=chroma

and here...

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/ch ... nahan.html

but i still need more input...( computer beeping ).

anyway, the effect i'm trying to get in this two to three second sequence is:

1) girl in photoshop transitions into reality (video).

2) girl steps out of a mirror-like portal.

btw, is this even possible? stretching it too far?
cribble

Post by cribble »

First of all there's a PSD exporter script. I don't know where to find it because the e-frontier website is hard to navigate to find stuff. But there's a script, search the forums. The script will export layers to AS for you.

You'd want to make sure you've covered all the aspects of stuff like blinking, mouth movements and stuff with in this PSD file. Unless you want to kill the realism of the animation.

I personally usually export my PSD's to PNGs (with transparencies turned on), and cut my characters up to appropriate limbs, so i can create the movement. It's best to put these limbs onto a separate layer in photoshop, so you know what limb is what. And it makes exporting each individual limb easier. You can reconstruct it later in AS

But from your last post sounds like rotoscoping will be the answer to you questions... it'll raise some more questions as to how you would do it in AS, but eh, i guess switch layers and a million layers might work.

Another option is to get the character to be nearly exactly the same shape as the person in the video and just blend it/morph it during the animation process.

It's sort of hard to give advice, because it differs from project to project. Like AS and video... there's loads of possibilities as to what you can do with a video in AS, it just depends on what you want to do with it.
--Scott
cribble.net