Question relating to Bones and Switch Layers

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

marchdigital

Question relating to Bones and Switch Layers

Post by marchdigital »

Hi,

I have been creating a series of characters that have switch layers for both mouths (lip sync) and eyes (open, shut). My question is: how do I 'attach' the mouth layer and the eyes layer to the head of my character when establishing the bones structure.

I have added a bone to each of the switch layers and am able to control their position using these but the rest of the body is controlled by its own bones layer. The problem is that I want to be able to attach the mouth(s) and the eyes to the head so that when I move the head - pivot it on the characters neck - the eyes and mouth move too. Is this possible?

I have uploaded a set of screen shots of my character and the bones structure I have created to illustrate what I am doing. See http://www.marchdigital.com.au/moho

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Chris Walker
March Digital, Australia
chris@marchdigital.com.au
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

With the switch layer selected, activate the Bind Layer bone tool (the bottom-left tool in the Bone tool group). Click on the bone you want to attach to. The switch layer will now move with that bone.
marchdigital

Wow!!! That was fast!

Post by marchdigital »

Thanks for the fast reply. Must be some sort of record.
Chris Walker
March Digital, Australia
chris@marchdigital.com.au
boris

another related bone / switch layer question ???

Post by boris »

I am also relatively new to moho and was wondering if it is possible to control the content of a switch layer (in this case some vector layers) by a bone layer that is higher in hierarchy than the switch layer. I have a feeling this is not possible but wanna make sure.

thank you,
Boris
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

No, this isn't possible - bone layers can only control their immediate children.

However, switch layers are a special case of bone layers - you can add bones directly to a switch layer if you want to control the sub-layers of that switch group.