Eyelids

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

2manycontrols

Eyelids

Post by 2manycontrols »

Im pretty new, and just trying out the demo just now, which is fantastic to say the least!

i was wondering what the best way to do eyelids. is masking the way to go here or is there other methods?

i thought either have eyelids as vector layers that you manually animate for blinking, frowning etc, or have a few different eye shapes made up and changing visability of each one as and when required - but then i would imagine that would make things less smooth?

im new to animating in 2d so go easy on me! thanks in advance
2manycontrols

Post by 2manycontrols »

ahh worked it out with masks and switch :) much fun

one problem however. i have skintone eyelids on the eye, with the same skintone as a background (this is just a test / learn thing!) but when i render i can see a faint outline of the eye that i used to mask, like the edge of anti-aliasing? is there way to get rid of it?
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

I've run into this using masks. You could try putting a thin line around your masking shape that is of the same colour as the skin. It seems to help a little but is not 100% prefect.
Squeakydave

Post by Squeakydave »

AaaaGh!
The outline thing doesn't work. I'll post this in the bug forum.
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

"i can see a faint outline of the eye that i used to mask, like the edge of anti-aliasing?"

I've had problems like that using transparent bitmaps (.PNG) files now and then. I don't have a solution unfortunately.

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
7feet

Post by 7feet »

The problem I've noticed is that, even if either the mask of the object to be masked has an outline, Moho ignores the outline width when it calculates the mask. I haven't checked it, but I don't believe I had the same problem in 4.6. Maybe unintended side-effect of the more flexible masking, but it would be nice if the line widths were taken into account. It has bolloxed up some of the techniques that I came to rely on for eyes (and mouths that I built jaws/teeth for, etc). I certainly wouldn't mind at all if masking took all outline widths into account.

--Brian
Zaphod

Eyelids

Post by Zaphod »

if you can have the color of the eyeslids match the color of the faint outline it won't show much. The outlines I've noticed in my toons are usually a darker shade of the skin tone, hopefully yours are the same, this is especially good for female characters, who often have darker eyelids anyway, I guess because they are wearing makeup. Sometimes I use gradients on the lids for the same reason. The biggest problem I've come across so far using the masking method is when you want to have eyelashes, since they should be going outside of the eyewhites. It may be a good idea just to make a switch layer for the eyes.