File save problems

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JimmyC

File save problems

Post by JimmyC »

I am following the tutorials in the help manual. I did these last year with an old version of moho, and I don't remember any problems.

Everything appears to be OK. I render the scene, and I can see the gradient fill etc. I save the file, and whenIi reload it, all I get are outlines on each layer - the gradients have gone.

I cannot see all the layers together, if I click on each one seperately, they appear (with just the outline of my shapes) If I render, all I get is the blue background, and not even any outlines?. This is the second time I have done this tut, don't mind doing it again to get it right, but no more.

What am I doing wrong. I am following the tut to the letter. Do I need to re-install?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Genete

Post by Genete »

What tut are you doing?
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

The first one. Hills, clouds, tree etc.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

This is a wild guess... it has happened to me and might explain it.

When you first open an AS file it always goes to frame 0. If you were on a frame other than 0 and had created shapes, or made changes to fills and effects then saved and opened again... it would appear as if something had happened to your shapes... since you would be back on frame 0. Those changes were made on another frame and you wouldn't see them on frame 0.

I am not saying this is what has happened I am merely suggesting it as a possible reason.

This happened to me before and that is what I thought... that somehow my changes had not been saved.

Check the time line settings and make sure all the fill and strokes channel key displays are turned on. Then check to make sure you don't have keys in the fills of your shapes.

-vern
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

...and if they do, copy those keyframes and paste them in frame 0 to fix the problem (then you can delete them from the timeline)
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Thank you very much vern. You were 100% correct.

For some strange reason, I had a keyframe at frame 1. All I did was to move the little red frame pointer to frame 1, and all my fills magically appeared. They rendered with no probs too.

I had fixed my first file save by redoing the fill, and I see I now have 2 keyframes (at 0 and 1) int that file. It is only an excercise, so I will let it pass for now. I can see that I am going to have to watch the timeline like a hawk! I think I will just make it disappear until I am animating something!

AH!!!! A light just came on. I was following the tutorial by DarthFurby recently on using Actions, and when I was finished, I saved a new default in Startup so that I wouldn't have to look at Winsor every time I opened AS.

The timeline would have been set to 1 of course. !!!!! Doh!

Thank you once again for your prompt answer. I will carry on, but I'm sure there are more booby traps out there for me to blunder into. Learning keeps my brain active.
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Thanks too funksmaname, we must have cross posted.

I was going to ask how to fix it, but since it is only a tut I thought I would let it pass for now, and not post any more about it. Thanks for showing me the method. I'll fix it now.

Thank you both. I was really stuck and thinking evil thoughts about my new software Turns out it was my fault anyway :oops: