Render not picking up colours

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

patrick

Render not picking up colours

Post by patrick »

When I preview I get the the colours I expect, but obviously without shading and such:

However, when I render, I get this:

What's going on? And how do I correct it?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

it's easy (and i suppose it will be correct in As6) , the colors of the gradient effect are different to the color of the shape.
so you must modify the gradient effect settings of each shape in style window.
patrick

Post by patrick »

Thank you, I would never have thought of that.
Genete

Post by Genete »

I have learned from heyvern (What a lot of thing I have learned from him!! THANKS!) a trick to use properly the gradient. Make one of the colors transparent or semi transparent. It will show the current color of the shape below. In this way you can apply two times a gradient and can have a background color and two gradients (one in one side on other in the other side - light and shadow for example)
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Genete wrote:I have learned from heyvern (What a lot of thing I have learned from him!! THANKS!) a trick to use properly the gradient. Make one of the colors transparent or semi transparent. It will show the current color of the shape below. In this way you can apply two times a gradient and can have a background color and two gradients (one in one side on other in the other side - light and shadow for example)
thank for tip, genete. i have a question that maybe could be answered with some of this tricky tricks. can i make a transparent gradient?
for example, from blue to red, but with a blue with 255 of alpha, and a red with just 100?
i have tried without success (and i think that it can't be done only using the style window. i refer, i can create a similar effect with several layers and masking... but it's too much work for something which should be so simply).
but, come on, you are a Genete. and i'm just a little selgin...
patrick

Post by patrick »

Genete wrote:I have learned from heyvern (What a lot of thing I have learned from him!! THANKS!) a trick to use properly the gradient. Make one of the colors transparent or semi transparent. It will show the current color of the shape below. In this way you can apply two times a gradient and can have a background color and two gradients (one in one side on other in the other side - light and shadow for example)
That is a great idea, and will save me a lot of hassle later.

Until recently I've only been using AS 5 with png's, so this vector stuff is all a bit new.
Genete

Post by Genete »

That's exactly what I mean!
Example:
Shape color yellow
Gradient1: blue (alpha=255) to red (alpha=100)

The result should be a blue to orange passing by some sort of green in the middle (I think...). I cannot test it now. Please test it for me (for you :wink:).

There is a post over there in T&T subforum where heyvern show a funky combination of effect over and over a shape combining gradirent and halo etc.
selgin wrote:but, come on, you are a Genete. and i'm just a little selgin...
(sorry for the non spanish speakers)
Querido selgin, TU eres el más grande de este foro. Tienes una actitud de modestia, generosidad y solidadridad admirables. Si a eso le sumas tus habilides en el dibujo y la animación, tus profundos comentarios y la gran memoria que posees de los posts del foro, se completa un cuadro de persona digna a imitar... Yo, sin embargo, no hago más que estar a tu sombra, la del más grande. Ahora si quieres echa una lagrimita... :wink:
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

jejeje, oh, sorry, hehehe.
no, no, genete, you (and heyvern of course) are the forum masters.
yo sólo soy un recolector de miguitas y hogazas.
y no quiero volver a discutirlo! :x
:D
The result should be a blue to orange passing by some sort of green in the middle (I think...). I cannot test it now. Please test it for me (for you Wink).
yes, that's almost exactly what happens. but the shape still being absolutely opaque, because the base yellow is in 255.
if i change the yellow to a lower alpha value, as 100 for example, all the shape get the 100 alpha. there is a plain transparency always, and not a gradual transparency.

what i want is a degraded from opaque 255 to transparent 100 (o sea, quiero que si existiera otra capa u otra shape abajo, ésta se viera debajo del degradado. un degradado hacia la transparencia. ay, esto es difícil de explicar incluso en español...)
Genete

Post by Genete »

Mmmm... maybe the alpha value affects to the shape and all the effects applied. You can try to make the shape alpha 255 and the layer (one layer pershape) with an alpha less than 255 to see what happen.
I believe that if you have 2 or more shapes in the same layer and each sahape have its own alpha when you reduce the alpha value to the layer it affects graudally to each shape.
You can play with halo (halo only checked on) to see if it could help you in obtain the desired effect.

Also there is a weird thing. If a gradient have both colors with alpha less than 255 it gets (the effect) completely transparent. I have to check that but it confused me a lot sometime ago.
-G
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

I've tried everything and there is no way to do it without using an image as a mask or using two layers:

For two layers without using an image layer mask you have the gradient shape duplicated and use a saved style for the gradient color and a simple black and white gradient for the transparency. Each shape is on a different layer. The black and white gradient layer is under the color layer and is set to Screen in the layer blending mode.

The color gradient layer is on top and it's layer blending mode is set to Multiply. Both shapes should be EXACTLY the same. Copy and paste one vector shape to be sure.

Before starting, create a new style with a white fill and a gradient from Red 100 alpha to Blue 255 alpha. The fill color check box should be checked.

Apply this style to the shape on the upper color layer. Now make sure the fill color check box is unchecked for that shape.

The gradient for the shape on the lower "transparency" layer is black to white. The white should have 0 alpha (100% transparent). This is important. Without this the gradient would be too strong on the transparent end of the gradient.

Here is the result over a multicolored back ground:

http://www.lowrestv.com/moho_stuff/tran ... dient.moho

TIP:
You can change the "size" or scale of the gradient by adding additional shapes to each end that match the colors and alpha of the ends of the gradient. This allows you to shrink the gradient. To scale it up I create a closed two point shape that I include in the shape.

By moving these points around it changes where the gradient starts and stops. The trick is making sure the extra points don't show in the render. Usually it doesn't unless it is rendered very large. I just move it out of the frame.

-vern