putting textures on solid b/g's

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Max Power

putting textures on solid b/g's

Post by Max Power »

I'm not sure but I think this is the technique called bakeing that I've seen mentioned once or twice.
What I want to achieve is something like the LM example on the front page. The green b/g has a texture to it along with the purple and red boxes. I've seen this done in many toons and i think that it will really up my production level if i learn how to do it.

So, if it is "Bakeing", can some one walk me thru the process. Do I need another prog? If not can someone just point me in the right direction?

thanks,
Max Power
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

I don't know how Lost Marble did that exact effect, I recall some discussion somewhere on this forum, you could try searching for that topic.

But when people refer to "baking" they usually mean rendering effects like shadows on textures. For instance a 3D object stone casting a shadow on the floor. Moho can not do 3D shadow so you render a shadow on a floor in another program and import that "prepared" file in Moho. That way the shadow is "baked" in the image file. I hope that makes sense.

But the background you mentioned looks more like an oil-painting. It is probalby done in another program, either hand-drawn and scanned in or done in a graphics editor like PhotoShop, Gimp etc. using either brush strokes while painting or an image with a real-life painting effect applied. Let's say you draw that background in straight lines and solid colors, the painting effect can make the edges look smeared, just a mouse-click and you're done.

I hope that answers your problem. As I said, I'm not sure how Moho did that particular effect but that's how I would replicate it. For both "baking" effects and applying natural painting effects you'll need additional software. There are Freeware programs that can do it so you don't have to spend a dime!

Good luck,

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

I remember the discussion as well, and I think LM said he made it in some other program. I think it was photoshop, or something like that. Anyhow, it wasn't made in moho. Though it could be made by having a lightblue splotchy background and a couple of splotchy, blury and semi-transperant green circles. Perhaps some smaller yellowish circles within the green ones.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

The background on the front page was just hand painted and imported as an image layer. Nothing really tricky there. As long as you don't need to move around the scene in 3D, you don't need to mess with modeling a 3D scene and baking in lighting.
Max Power

Post by Max Power »

thanks for the clarification. I was definately on the wrong page with what "Bakeing" was, but I understand it now.

Really my focus is on the background textures to liven up some dull solid color b/g's. Any other tips along those lines would be appreciated.

Nobudget, your answer made me realize that I need to teach myself some more photoshop, and i'll check out that Gimp software as well.

And LM, simple answer. I guess I got so involved with learning all these new programs I forgot that the ol' scanner can still be usefull.

Thanks to everyone
Max Power

Completely off the subject.
I like to watch AquaTeenHungerForce on Cartoon network. I can swear that those guys use the Moho particle effects on damn near every episode.