hello, newbie here. so in freehand mode, how can i just..

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

8thSamurai

hello, newbie here. so in freehand mode, how can i just..

Post by 8thSamurai »

draw without creating points? for instance i'm just creating one static image that i'll want to zoom in just slightly or vise versa. all i really want to fool around with at the moment would be the scaling as atm i'm just getting used to the pen. is there a way to just draw without points, and then just fill in? sounding cheesy, but something like paintbrush. thanks -8th
Genete

Post by Genete »

Not with Anime Studio.
Points and lines are the base of everything in AS. Besides that, you can draw a unfilled closed outline or a filled shape without outline or a filled shape with outline. Just combine the checkboxes when use the freehand tool.

To make a raster image you should go to a raster program: Paint for instance. Later you can import the image using a image layer. Best image format (balanced quality / size and alpha channel) is PNG format.

-G
8thSamurai

Post by 8thSamurai »

thank you my friend. I'll give that a try. i also purchased manga studio, but i don't like the way the pen draws vs. anime studio. for instance the pen sensitivity where the ink gets more "splochy" with pressure. i like that, and specifically because i'm somewhat drawing a still from some japanese calligraphy.

so you're saying i can draw my calligraphy by symbol, and then remove the points? for instance a "consolidate" function where it smoothens out your drawing and removes the points. if not, i'll have to go with that i suppose and try the paint png thin. i just love anime studio pressure sensitivity via pen. creates more realism.
Genete

Post by Genete »

No. Maybe I did not explain properly. You cannot have a shape without ANY point. You need at least 3 points to have a closed curve and 2 to have a non closed curve. To reduce the mount of points when using the freehand tool tewak the values in options drop down menu (spacing and anlge if I remember well)

Maybe if you redo your initial question I can understand you better.

Sorry.
-G
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

The points are the part where this program stores the information about where the line appears and how thick it is. If you remove them, you remove the line.

You can just as well forget about them since you don't want to manipulate single points. Draw as you like and just move or transform the whole layer. If you don't intend to do more manipulation in detail, yoiu can as well draw on paper, scan this in, and move or translate the image layer in the same way as other layers.
muuvist

Re: hello, newbie here. so in freehand mode, how can i just

Post by muuvist »

8thSamurai wrote:draw without creating points? for instance i'm just creating one static image that i'll want to zoom in just slightly or vise versa. all i really want to fool around with at the moment would be the scaling as atm i'm just getting used to the pen. is there a way to just draw without points, and then just fill in? sounding cheesy, but something like paintbrush. thanks -8th
Because your a newbie I'm wondering if your complaining about the way AS displays all the points as you draw, all those little squares are really annoying: to get rid of them go to the pop-up menu on the bottom of the main window and un-tick 'construction curves' now you can draw with an uncluttered view and it feels more like drawing in photoshop or flash. It's also good to turn on 'antialiasing' in the same menu. I would recommend for freehand sketching that you have only the 'auto-outline' box ticked at the top of the window. I've found that drawing with construction curves off is quite intuitive and the translate points tool generally seems to pick the right point for small adjustments, the magnet tool is also handy, of course it is a lot easier when you know all the keyboard shortcuts. I apologise in advance if you already knew this.
8thSamurai

Post by 8thSamurai »

well thank you guys for your input. i really appreciate it. i'll do some more researching and practicing now that i have some free time.

questions:

what's the best format to import into anime studio if i'm working with MS Paint? yeah i know it's a poor man's tool, but at the moment i don't have the funds to work with higher priced photo/image editors. unless you can recommend a freeware download editor that i may work with would be great! so, i realize the best options for me are:

bmp. dib (24-bit)
JFIF, JPEG, JPG, JPE
GIF
TIF, TIFF
PNG

which one's the best to import into Anime Studio and work with as far as quality and compatibility?

I also have Manga Studio. Does Manga have a better tool for exportation? My friend let me have these programs since he no longer works with these tools so he says, but I want to learn them. Should I work within Manga Studio and export images to Anime Studio? I'm just looking for the best quality, ease of use, bone structure tracing (if that makes any sense?), and more. any helpful advice would be greatly appreciate. thank you

-8S
arthbard

Post by arthbard »

GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/) is a good, free image editor. And I believe PNG seems to be the preferred format for importing non-vector images.
8thSamurai

Post by 8thSamurai »

thanks arthbard. actually i noticed that my notebook came with ULead photoeditor software which is I guess decent for the time being. is there a way where i can import a black & white image and then have it create bones? if i recall, i think in Macromedia Flash software you can import an image and break it up. geez sorry fellas for being such a noob
Farbklecks

Post by Farbklecks »

And how about paint.net?
http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html
http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

It's always good to have different software at hand.