Incompletely boned...

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

macweenie

Post by macweenie »

Well, the following link will take you to a 738kb Quicktime (Sorenson3 CoDec) so if you want to see the results of my monkeying around please feel free. Once I contact the guy who I am doing this for and get the MP3 I imagine it will be a lot longer, need a drummer and a siamese twin backup singers and hopefully use the 3D FX to give a panning/depth feel to it. I may be biting off more than I can chew for my first project but Moho still has that new app smell, and it smells like victory...

http://www.cynicalnature.com/Foetones.htm

PS: The background is just an image I had laying around and not the intended final background.
macweenie

Post by macweenie »

What a bonehead! Sorry I didn't have the brains to check this link properly when I posted, it should be

http://www.cynicalnature.com/Foetones/Foetones2.mov

Of course now I am on to animating a music video for a local band using the fetus along with Bigfoot, Mothman, cattle abductions and a zombie. What ever happened to keeping it simple? :roll:
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

Nice drawing style but the movement reminds me of my first animations (and only improving slooowly), it seems to be "floating". This is because of the tweening of Moho, it makes animation easy but for real-life movement you need more "jerky" motion. So more keyframes at irregular intervals so you get some more twitching going on. People do not move interpolated, they kind of jerk around because the brain is constantly sending information. Go left, go right, wait a sec, go up inbetween, no cancel that but instead...
Try adding some keys, in the middle of two other keys, a few frames from another key and add small movements. It will take a lot of tweaking but you'll notice much more natural movement.

I hope that makes sense,

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
macweenie

Post by macweenie »

Makes perfect sense Reindert, and thanks for the observation. I am still designing (and redesigning) the characters and backgrounds while trying to figure out the 3-D camera in Moho to acheive the effects I want. I am not afraid of putting in a lot of keyframes, hell in order to make the fetuses fret hand stay attached to the arm at the wrist I had to insert a keyframe every 3 or 4 frames to make some kind of position adjustment, but I figured that I could tweak the movement after roughing it out. Since you have the experience and I am a rank amatuer here, would that be a good way to go or would you have another way you have learned through experience?
nobudget

Post by nobudget »

I don't see a problem with the hand actually, I don't know just how the character is constructed but the arm and hand could be on one layer I'd think and positioning and scaling done in one bone layer. So a bone layer with all arm and hand bones and the layer with the arm and hand, then position adjustments should not be required.

Well, the thing I've learned is there are many ways to achieve one goal. Once I experimented with different character styles and different ways of making them move. It's not right or wrong, it's the best solution for a particular character.

As always, planning helps. First think what your character has to do and then start designing. A little thought beforehand saves a lot of time and trouble afterwards.

Don't worry, you have more than enough talent, that's easy to see. Good luck,

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com