Why can't I make holes?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Zaphod

Why can't I make holes?

Post by Zaphod »

I'm having a hard time making shapes with holes in them, I'm doing everything the instructions tell me to do. Is there some thing I'm missing ? Some common newbie mistake that might explain this?
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

It's quite hard answering what your doing wrong when w don't know what your doing. I assume the instruction your talking about is the tutorial "2.2 Holes". The creating holes part is actually quite simple (just create a shape and another shape inside it and fill them both), and the only problems I can imagine at the moment are the following:

1. The shapes your trying to use are already filled. In that case what your doing when your trying to create a new fill is that you create a fill with holes, but the holes show the original fill behind it (I'm not sure if you understood all of that; I'm not really famous my explanations, but it dosen't matter if you understand as long as you do as I say, untill you've fully learned moho when you will understand your self)

2. Your creating the filles one at a time. In that case you will simply create two shapes intop of eachother, and the wanted effect will not be applied.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think theese problems are the only ones. If I'm wrong, and it still dosen't work, explain exactly what your doing step by step and I'm sure I'll find the solution.
Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Ah, I figured it out, it was something kick-myself worthy like I thought. Seems it won't recognise where to make the holes if you just click on the edge with the create shape tool, you have to lasso it.
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

The key issue is not what tool you use to select the points/curves, it's that all of them are in fact selected, including the inner ones that constitute your "holes".
-Keith
myles

Post by myles »

To select 2 shapes (the outer shape and the hole shape) with the Create Shape tool, click on the first one normally, then shift-click on the second one (and any subsequent ones).

Shift-click is used for "add to selection" operations across a range of software.

Regards, Myles.