animating animal from standing to sitting

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

maggie

animating animal from standing to sitting

Post by maggie »

Hi, What might be the best way to animate an animal (with long legs) from a standing postiion to a sitting position and vice versa? The back legs are the problem. I tried a switch layer for a standing animal and another switch layer for sitting, it works OK but I couldn't get it to 'interpolate' even tho I though I had the same points. When I don't use the switch layers and try moving the animal via its bones I run into trouble with what to do with the too long back legs. Could I just use point animation to do it with no bone layers? My only other solution is don't do it in the same film clip- is that cheating?....... (I don't have these problems with people, standing and sitting).

Maggie
Touched

Post by Touched »

Well, cutting away from the action to avoid tricky animation is indeed a cheat, but in the practical world, if it looks fine that way just do it.

But yes, point animation doesn't require bones, and can also be done together with bones.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

use lock bone to the four hands...
and angle constraints to the legs to make your animal have knees.

its useful to have a parent bone of all the character, you can use it to move all the body.

here is a fast draw of a dog (right click, save as):
http://www.freewebs.com/tazatriste/mohos/perro.anme

i hope help.
maggie

re animation sitting to standing animal

Post by maggie »

Hi, Thanks for your help- the bone locks work good. I hadn't thought of locking the front feet, nor the angle constraints on the knees, was just getting in a big mess with 'translate' bones and 'rotate bones' and got a very oddly shaped dog.......
Maggie