Bones -- am I way off the track?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Alonso

Bones -- am I way off the track?

Post by Alonso »

I stopped using Moho probably around three or four months ago. More, probably. Thus regardless, I came back and was finally able to buy the software from the e-frontier website. I find Anime Studio pretty much the same as Moho, except for the bone behaviour.
Namely, whenever I wanted to have a vector layer or an image layer boned, I'd simply add the bones and adjust the affected area (bone strength). Now, though, I apparently have to perform a whole array of vertex-selection steps (binding points) before I even think about moving a bone... why? I understand this might give the user a bit more control as to what gets moved or not, but I'm the kind of person that utilizes a big amount of bones, and to be very honest, it's tedious and ineffective just to even think of binding everything together.

Is there an option that allows me to do it like before?--to simply place a bone, adjust the strength and move it?
And what happens with an image? How do I tell the program what points to move or not? Or is there an automatic-binding option I've missed?

Thanks =)
----
Alonso Martin
http://www.alonso-martin.com
myles

Re: Bones -- am I way off the track?

Post by myles »

Hello Alonso,
Alonso wrote:Namely, whenever I wanted to have a vector layer or an image layer boned, I'd simply add the bones and adjust the affected area (bone strength). Now, though, I apparently have to perform a whole array of vertex-selection steps (binding points) before I even think about moving a bone... why?
That is not correct - bone binding works the same in Anime Studio as it did in Moho.
As in Moho, you do not have to bind individual points to bones, but you can if you really want to modify the default binding behaviour.

By default (as in Moho), bone binding uses Flexible binding (all bones will affect all points on a character, to greater or lesser degrees depending on their strength setting).
Personally, I prefer to go into the Bones tab in a bone layer's Settings, and change the default to Region binding, so bone strength adjusts the region covered - again, this is the same as Moho.
Alonso wrote:Is there an option that allows me to do it like before?--to simply place a bone, adjust the strength and move it?
And what happens with an image? How do I tell the program what points to move or not? Or is there an automatic-binding option I've missed?
You should by default get the normal behaviour.

If you have gone through the Bones menu and selected Release Points (this turns off automatic binding for the selected points), or if you have specifically selected and bound individual points in order to get different behaviour - only then should you get non-default binding.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
Alonso

Post by Alonso »

Yes. Apparently after doing the same thing several times, I got it to work.
I've my computer knowledge, but sometimes I just have to shut up and be happy with the results X).

Thanks, Myles.
----
Alonso Martin
http://www.alonso-martin.com
myles

Post by myles »

Hello Alonso,

I'm glad you've got it working the way you want!

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx