HELP: Vector artifact crept into my rendered AVI

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

touchdown

HELP: Vector artifact crept into my rendered AVI

Post by touchdown »

Okay, I've rendered a 40-sec clip dollying through some trees.

Each frame in question looks fine in AS, but when I rendered it out to AVI (uncompressed it's about 1.2gb) and run it through Vegas there are about 3 frames in a row where a vector edge is way askew :?:

I've gone back to check that and can't see any problems.

http://media.putfile.com/vector-artifact

Anyone? Bueller?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

That's strange, indeed.

Unfortunately AS doesn't show everything in a timeline, so your chance to finde the mistake is pretty small.

I'd fix it with on of two possible workarounds:
1. Open the video in a pixel-based video paint program and paint that 3 frames white by hand.
2. There's space between the trees and the snow to put in another level. Create a white shape, make it visible just for the 3 frames, and weak it until it fits.
touchdown

Post by touchdown »

Yeah,

I was thinking about that. I've rendered each of those frames out in AS to see if I missed something, but I just can't find it.

I think I'll got with a white vector shape over the snow and go from there.

Thanks! I'll post the results for you.

Hey, here's a two-part question for you:

1. if i'm using depth of field (checked in properties) would that be smoother than blurring layers by keyframe as objects are approached?

2. what scale are the depth values? meaning are the focus range numbers the z-axis of my objects?

I'm trying to find a nice way to smoothly bring into focus scenery as it is approached.

Again, thanks. Everyone here is really helpful.

t
Genete

Post by Genete »

Have you said that rendering the three frames individually where the artifact appears, it dissappears? I mean If you render the file not in AVi format but in an image sequence, the problem dissappear?
Mmm if so, it is very strange...

I have an idea: Render those tree seconds several times. Then at each time you turn the "Don't render this layer" on for every layer. When the problem dissapear you got it!!. It is a way to isolate the missing shape that is giving you the headache.

(((could be a forgotten triangle from a streelight???)))

Anyway I have to say that short is awesome! :D
touchdown

Post by touchdown »

FOUND IT!

One frame, for some reason, had a vertice pulled across. Not sure how, but I deleted the shape and started fresh. I must have missed rendering that one frame when i was testing it. whew.

i still have a lot to learn with depth and position 3D.

Oh, hey thanks! I'll put the whole 1:15 segment up when it's done.