How do you track smoothly along axis X, Y, AND Z?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

touchdown

How do you track smoothly along axis X, Y, AND Z?

Post by touchdown »

The scene: tracking across a park through some scattered trees. A few left and right pans around some trees, but the forward speed should be fairly constant.

Is there an easy way to keyframe in the forward travel's end-frame, and then go back and keyframe the X & Y movements?

Also, I'm experimenting with keyframe attributes and I keep getting the long pauses at each frame before "Z" speeding to the next frame.

Ouch!
touchdown

Post by touchdown »

Ok, nevermind. It's just taking some time learning the way AS talks. I'd like to try one of those scripts but I don't have any other apps to import camera tracks.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I'd do it this way (just imagining, not tried):

Keep the z movement to the camera (via zoom tool) and the movements of the trees on the y axis to the layers. This way the keys of both movements don't interfere with each other. Of course this method lacks the relative size change of the trees to each other - but why be natural?

I'd prefer this over a "real" 3D setup because I like to get certain views, certain compositions of the trees. (I remember a film where this same principle was used to create recognisable shapes with two layers of dark clouds - must have been something from the seventies.)

3D is definitely not my field, so I'd be grateful for a nice tutorial about how to set up some park with several layers of trees in Moho-3D to track into it.
touchdown

Post by touchdown »

I'm relatively new to AS so I haven't even scratched scripts yet, save the particle effects.

I already laid out the trees across the field in depth. My problem turned out to be not paying attention to my dolly's Z value when I'd drop keyframes in to adjust X or Y.

I just used the scrubber and made a quick note of the Z value, then after making the left/right adjustments I'd just type in the former Z value. A little messy for technique, but it's only six or so entries over 700 frames. When it's done I'll post the result.

Thanks for the response!

Since we're talking cameras, is there a good explanation on how to use "depth of field" in the properties settings? Specifically,

1. will that take care of blurring?
2. should I reset all layers to blur= 0?