filling inside complex shapes?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

starchild

filling inside complex shapes?

Post by starchild »

Hi there!

I'm trying to achieve some tasks inside AS trying to build my character using the add tool...

quick and simple: this pic below is the body (shirt) of the character. He is wearing a necklace (is that the right world? looks like a collar)

well, altough I can select it, I can't (and I've tried everything) fill this shape! AS let me only fill the collar.

It's funny, cause i dunno if the problem is with the intersection of the two shapes (collar+body) ...maybe the software misinterprets that being two different shapes?

Since I'm building some kinda complex characters -with hats, necklaces and belts- I'd love to have some good advice about constructing and correctly filling colors while building!

I try to be very careful joining lines correctly and stuff, and reading the tutorials. But sometimes I just face these silly simple issues. Sad! :oops:
ulrik

Post by ulrik »

Have you selected all points on the outline of the shape, and only thoose?, then it should work, unless there is some broken line somewhere they can be real hard to find, zoom in and look close to see if you can find any broken line.
myles

Post by myles »

Starchild,

make sure your shirt is "welded" to the necklace (or to a hidden line beneath the necklace), and also welded at the corners at the bottom of the shirt.

See this quick walk-through for selecting all points for a shape that isn't a single line.
It uses a "crown on a head" example from somewhere in the tutorials.

Regards, Myles.
"Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
-- Groucho Marx
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I would construct the shirt of several shapes with the same colour, then put that necklace on top of it.
dekka

Post by dekka »

i'd do exactly the same as slow tiger. because if you decide to have the necklace move, you're screwed. but definitely check if all the points are selected and also check if you don't have two points instead of one sometime that's what happens to me i clicked twice on the same spot and it puts two points and that can lead to weird reaction frm the software.
good luck
lookin' at it thru the grand scheme of life, i don't give a damn