Bones in Switch Layers

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Gnaws

Bones in Switch Layers

Post by Gnaws »

For some reason I thought it'd be possible to put boned items on a switch layer. I ready Maggie's post (http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6218) but I'm unable to access the bind layer tool.

Here's how I've got things set up. I have every piece rigged.

then in place.

Then I put them in a switch layer,

they seem to jump back to their original rigged position whenever I select them from the switch layer.

My apologies in advance to jahnocli, heyvern, and myles for not understanding what they have tried to explain before. :oops:

heyvern

Post by heyvern »

That is... very strange...

I have tried to duplicate this and... I can't!

Any chance you could post the file? Do you have any other keys in there for layer movement? Point translation?

-vern
Genete

Post by Genete »

It seems that you have rigged the arm with bone tools from layer 4 (bone layer) and AFTER you have moved vector layers to a switch layer inside the bone layer (arm R group).
Switch layers are exacly the same as bone layers but with the switch feature. So binding done at layer 4 is loose when you move vectors INSIDE another layer. Before rigging you can set up all layers positions and dependencies. AFTER that you should assign bones according to the hierarchy. So, to create a bone that will bind a certain layer you must select it first parent level layer, not the second or more. Bones of ancestors layers are not accesible from inner layers, only one parent level.

hope my explanation helps you.

Also you can check out my example that was uploaded a few days ago.

Regards.
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

@Genete - I think you are absolutely correct my friend. You have to establish the heirarchy BEFORE boning. I didn't do that or even think of doing that.
...you must select it first parent level layer, not the second or more. Bones of ancestors layers are not accesible from inner layers, only one parent level.
I don't follow this exactly but I think if I do this a few more times, it will become crystal clear.

Thank you SO much. This is a HUGE milestone in my AS education.

@heyvern - thanks as always for being so willing to help, Man. :D

-gnaws
Genete

Post by Genete »

I'm good in Moho/AS theory, but my drawings (imagination man!) are so poor. :cry: :cry:
I hope I'l learn something about you (about all of good stuff here) watching your job :) :)
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

@Genete: Although it is good to look at what others have drawn, I think it is best to base your own work on what you can do, and progress from there, instead of wanting to draw something that is beyond your reach.

Of course, an experienced draftsperson/ animator that is willing to tutor you one-on-one is even better, but only few people have this luxury. :(
Mikdog

Post by Mikdog »

Hmm...

Sure you're not doing this on FRAME 1? Make sure everything's on FRAME 0.

Good luck man.