..two noob questions

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

AdrianX

..two noob questions

Post by AdrianX »

1. are there any tutorials on how to create my own anime character? (like the two example anime characters included in anime studio)
2. is there a way to have a smooth transition between the front and a side view / 45 view of an anime character?

..thanks
Genete

Post by Genete »

In fact Bones setup tutorial (I don't remember what number is) is perfect to learn how to setup a new character. The basic layers layuot work is shown in that example and it helps you in how to set up bones. The rest is only draw!!

About the second question there is none officialy written. You can seek for head turn in this forum and you will find lots of examples. Watching other let's you lern a lot. Search for "Jaws" in Share your work subforum and read DK shared file and rest of forum comments.

But remember, You a re working with a basically 2D drawing program. Yes there is 3D camera and Z axis exists, but it have limited features (bones and shapes must be in a layer, although layers can be rotated and translated in any axe)

As a recent novate that is growing up, I recommend to you to read carefully the tutorial and all the help. After that start with something simple. Then complicate your self step by step. Even if your character is so simple its animation could be a headache.
Good luck!!
Last edited by Genete on Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

To do a convincing head turn one first has to know the principles behind that. Get a grab at books like:
"Disney Animation: The Illusion of Life" by Frank Thomas/Ollie Johnston
"The Animator's Survival Kit" by Richard Williams
or any other of the good animation books, by Tony White and others.

You should clear your mind and ask: do I know how my character should look like? or do I just not know how to create that same character in AnimeStudio? These are different tasks and should be tackled one by one.
AdrianX

Post by AdrianX »

..but as seen on a gallery entry entitled "La Reine Soleil", (found here: http://www.e-frontier.com/article/artic ... 934/1/811/ ), it seems that head turning for characters is a breeze.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

It isn't. There's a lot of work involved. And besides; I don't like that head turn, it's definitely sub standard.
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

A convincing slow head turn in 2D is so difficult to do, because we humans daily see other humans doing it. There is foreshortening of the facial parts involved, that is hard to do in a flat face. It has to be exact and subtle. I'm sure the head turn in the example was not done by an experienced animator.
artfx

Post by artfx »

slowtiger wrote:It isn't. There's a lot of work involved. And besides; I don't like that head turn, it's definitely sub standard.
Which head turn? The Greykid video has head turns throughout. All of them seem as high a quality as it gets. Am I missing something?
----
Terrence Walker
Studio ArtFX
LEARN HOW TO Make YOur Own Animated Film!
Get Video Training to Show You How!
Gnaws

Post by Gnaws »

slowtiger wrote:...I don't like that head turn, it's definitely sub standard.
I wish I had a reel full of sub standard work like that.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Gnaws wrote:I wish I had a reel full of sub standard work like that.
mmm... i wish i had a reel with some standard and over the standard works.
artfx

Post by artfx »

Gnaws wrote:
slowtiger wrote:...I don't like that head turn, it's definitely sub standard.
I wish I had a reel full of sub standard work like that.
I agree! If I could be as sub-standard as Grey Kid I'll be an extremely happy animator. :lol:
----
Terrence Walker
Studio ArtFX
LEARN HOW TO Make YOur Own Animated Film!
Get Video Training to Show You How!