Hugging Characters

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Sailor-taurus

Hugging Characters

Post by Sailor-taurus »

Ok, my models are typical 4/3 direction models, each one having two arms behind the torso, and one arm infront (people who have helped me with my previous "how do I" topics will be familiar with this).

Just one problem.

How do I make character's hug? I can see no way of making one of the arms go behind another character/object, and the other arm to go infront. I can't rotate or move the arms on the z axis so I can't do the whole layer trick.

How do I do it?
Bones3D

Post by Bones3D »

Create the arms as individual layers separate from the character torso. This will allow you to place each body part where they need to be (in terms of z-sorting).

The problem is that connected objects can only exist on one layer, and layers cannot intersect. (They run parallel to one another, like a stack of paper.)
8==8 Bones 8==8
Rasheed

Post by Rasheed »

I would do the entire hugging scene in 2D and avoid 3D altogether. It then is all about staging and using switched layers. This means you have to think through the scene before you start animating, perhaps using thumbnails and rough sketches, otherwise you will be wasting a lot of time. Perhaps, as a preparation, you should even draw the most important frames, as key frames, so you know exactly how to animate the scene and in which frame(s) to switch layers.
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

Will your characters be hugging through your entire animation?

Or are they hugging in just one short scene?

Don't be afraid to create "special" versions just for one situation. You could even imagine both characters as "one"... all the "parts" and layers for both in one bone layer.

Do only what you need. If they are hugging... they won't be walking.. so no need for a bunch of leg bones... they probably won't need to speak as they hug... so eliminate lip synch stuff if you have it... they won't be bending over to pick something up... so... limited spine motion... etc...

Just do a "one off". Put enough potential movement to initiate the hug. Think about doing a camera cut to the hug... Get in... get out. Then switch back to the other "regular" characters.

-vern