please, anyone knows the talking head stuff?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

pipo

please, anyone knows the talking head stuff?

Post by pipo »

I want to surprise a friend for his birthday. But seemingly no one knows how to do the talking head. I'm running out of time and I just can't get it to work!!!

thanx :D
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Describe better. Are you talking about the Auto Lipsync ? I'll assume you are..

First, you'll probably hear it a lot here, but the tutorials in the help are great, and you really should go through them. Pretty much any basic question you might have is addressed

This is the way I do it. First, create a new Switch Layer. Inside that layer, make a new Vector layer. In this case, I would usually draw a kind of "medium open" mouth shape. Now, one of the particularly nifty things about Switch layers is that as long as they have the same number of points, you can got to the Switch layer properties (double click on the layer), Switch tab, and set the "Interpolate layers" checkbox. Tthis means that Moho will igure out how to makes the shapes change smoothly over time from one to another. But I'm getting ahead of myself. While you are in the layer properties, give the layer a name, I'll usually just go with "Mid", it kinda says it all.

Use the Duplicate Layer button ( the one in the Layer window with the red plus sign) to make a few copies of the "Mid" layer. If you are pressed for time, 2 will do. Move the points around to make one more open, and name it "Open". The other, make it look closed, and ditto.

Now, for Auto Lipsync, you need to make sure you're layers are in the proper order inside the Switch layer. Put "Open" topmost, "Mid" in the middle, and "Closed" at the bottom. Open up the Switch layer properties again, and under the "Switch" tab click on the "Source Data" button. Then pick the sound file you want to operate the mouth.

Now, as you play your animation, the mouth should track to the sound file.

I don't know how far you've gotten, so I'll throw in some more detail. For one, If you want the sound to go out with the animation whan you render it, go to "Animation" at the top of the main window and click on "Select Soundtrack". If you don't the mouth will still move fine, but it will be silent movie style. Also, if you are using bones to move your character, you need to attach the switch layer to the bone that controls the head(and make sure the Switch layer is inside the bone layer. 2 ways - with the switch layer selected, use the Bind Layer tool and then click on the bone you want it attached to, or use the Select Bone tool while the switch layer is selected and in the main window go to Bone>Flexi-Bind Layer.

If that doesn't cover it, feel free to ask.

--Brian
Niek

talkin head

Post by Niek »

Hi,

I'm terribly sorry but that wasn't exactly my question! You should have let me explain my question.

In moho 5.0 there's an tutorial file (4.3) with a talkin head of reagan in it. Moho doesn't explain how they did it. A few posts back You can see me askin it, but no one replied. Can U help me?

Thnx,
Niek
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Tutorial 4.2 shows you how to warp an image using bones.

Tutorial 3.2 show you how to use bone constraints to make one bone control other bones (see the section on Control Bones).

Finally, Tutorial 4.3 combines these two techniques to warp a face image. It doesn't tell you exactly how to set up the bones, but the other tutorials I mentioned should help with that. Tutorial 4.3 does show you how to move a bone in response to a sound file.
Niek

Post by Niek »

I used those tutorials but as you mentioned it doesn't show exactly how the bones are setup. But I will dive into it again, a bit deeper...

Thanks!

Niek
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

Most the time with heads, I'll put all of the head geometry and switch layers into a group layer and then bind that layer (NOT individual points) to the bone (Layer bind tool). I do this, because:

1) It's simple and gets everything moving with one bone and minimal binding woes. I can have very complicated heads, with nested switch layers with multiple angles, each with their own set of mouths, eye controls, eyebrow controls, hair controls, all without having to worry about how the individual points on all of these sublayers are being effected. I do the same things with hands (although with a much less complicated setup).
2) Most of the time I don't want to control the head with bones. I don't want it deforming with the neck, the head is, at its most cartoon basic, one big bone, with the actions of the body only affecting the position of it and not the shape (with the exception of the jaw, and yet that's just a child bone of the head). Typically you wouldn't need more than one bone to control a head so there's no need to bind individual points as opposed to the layer binding. You can still create a separate bone layer in the head group to control things like the eyebrows and jaw if you need to and it will all move around as one big happy group.
________
Expert insurance