Layer Questions

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

wizaerd

Layer Questions

Post by wizaerd »

I'm hoping to do something simple, but am not quite sure how to proceed. It's about layers and stacking order. I have two characters (using 2 copies of the supplied Lenny model) and they're standing behind a bar. I want their arms to be above the bar, but their bodies behind the bar.

The Lenny model is built in one layer under a bone layer. How would I re-arrange things so that the arms are still part of the character, but above the rectangle and the rest of the body behind? With a single character, I'd put the rectangle in the skeleton layer, and be sure it's points weren't affected by any bones. But with two characters, I obviously can't just drop the rectangle layer into the bone or vector layer of both characters...

I imagine I'm gonna have to tear apart and re-build the characters to achieve this, right? But am not sure how to layer them...

Project Screenshot
PixelDust

Post by PixelDust »

I'm kinda new at this, but here's one way...

Make a new vector layer where you want the arm. Drag and drop that under the skeleton layer, but above the Lenny layer.

Then go to the Lenny layer and select a point on the arm, press the Tab key to select all the connected points on the arm, then control-X to cut.

Select the new vector arm layer and paste the arm into that. Repeat for the other arm. I'd put the other arm in its own layer so you they don't get affected by each other.

Once you get the arms separated from the body you can also move the body layers further back in the Z axis so they are behind the bar.

I hope that helps!
7feet

Post by 7feet »

One other possibility off the top of my head. If you fish through the Script forum, there are a few Embedded type scripts for making bones in one layer mimic those in another. I wrote the first one a while ago, but a few people have made vast improvements. So, in essence, you could have 2 separate bone layers overlapping exactly. Delete the back shapes from the one higer in the layer order, the opposite on the back and then attach the control script to the bone layers. Then one will mimic the other exactly in realtime. Put the bar layer in between them an you should be set.
http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3465

Another idea - I know somebody made a bone copying script, and it's easy enough to copy vectors, so perhaps you actually could make a second copy of the character in the same bone layer, pretty simple.
http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3691
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

I suppose one of the things that confuses me the most is that I tend to think of a character as a single entity, and it seems un-natural to break up the body in such a fashion. I think once I can come to grips with that, I might actually be able to come up with these solutions myself... :)

Thanx...
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

PixelDust wrote:I'm kinda new at this, but here's one way...

Make a new vector layer where you want the arm. Drag and drop that under the skeleton layer, but above the Lenny layer.

Then go to the Lenny layer and select a point on the arm, press the Tab key to select all the connected points on the arm, then control-X to cut.

Select the new vector arm layer and paste the arm into that. Repeat for the other arm. I'd put the other arm in its own layer so you they don't get affected by each other.

Once you get the arms separated from the body you can also move the body layers further back in the Z axis so they are behind the bar.

I hope that helps!
I have two skeleton layers, one for each character, so which do I drag it under? Or should both characters be under a single skeleton layer?