shifting animation in groups

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Wrap

shifting animation in groups

Post by Wrap »

hi! What a Great program!
We are making a 5 min. animation with lots of the same characters. We have trouble re-using the animation that has already been done. These characters consists out of "groups in groups in a group", all with seperate animation in it. The thing is that every time we want to shift a character, in the timeline, just to not make them do the same thing at the same moment, you have to go in to every layer and alter the keyframes... so if there's a quicker way I would love to hear it!
7feet

Post by 7feet »

2 methods. One, and the one I most often have used in the past- Do you're basic setup of characters and animation. Save the file. Delete all groups not related to a specific character. Save this as a separate file. Reopen the original file and repeat the process down the list of chracters. Then you can import (File>Import>Moho Object) the characters (and their associated characters as you choose. It makes it easy to put together individual shots to be assemble in an NLE. Note- if each of the characters are in their own "root" group, i.e. the whole project is not inside a Group for masking, etc, you can simply save the whole original file and import individual characters as Objects out of that file.

The other is to use Actions (see tutorial 5.6) to define the animations for each character, and then insert the actions into the Timeline at the points you choose. Actually very flexible, as you can define a number of different Actions for each character, and then mix and match as you please.

As Actions are also imported with Moho Objects, a combination gives you the greatest flexibility. Hope that covers most of what you're looking for.

--Brian
Wrap

Post by Wrap »

yeah! thanks, I see what you mean. But I already discovered the wonders of "actions" ,so I'm afraid I didn't really put my question right:

Say you've made eyes blink in a switchlayer, mouths animated also in a switch, and the body of a simple shape in some loop under there. Then all put in a grouplayer. Now is it possible to shift this group on the timeline so that the animation is the same but starting on a different frame?

The only solution I can think of is to composite the whole bunch of characters in something like after effects and ... It would be great if that could be done in MOHO.