rotating X axis along with layer?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

japan@dsl.pipex.com

rotating X axis along with layer?

Post by japan@dsl.pipex.com »

I have rotated a layer, tilting it back to a 65degree angle. I now want to animate along this new plane but the translation tools continue to work on the original plane, so rather than sliding away the layer rises. I considered moving the camera put this caused more problems with other elements in the scene and therefore ruled out.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

If you hold down the Alt key while using the Translate Layer tool, you can move a layer back and forward in the Z direction.
Japan

Post by Japan »

I tried the Z axis translate but this remains orientated to the view and doesn't change. It seems the program keeps the X,Y,and Z axis orientated to the view and not to the angle of the layer?!
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

A layer's X,Y,Z position is in world coordinates (if it's a top-level layer), or in the coordinate system of its parent group (if it's in a group layer).

The Translate Layer tool is designed to move layers relative to these coordinate systems, not to slide a layer along its own plane. Most often when positioning a layer in 3D space, you will want to move it in a generic X,Y,Z coordinate system, not slide it along its own plane.

The Translate Layer tool may not be moving your layer the way you want it to in this particular case, but it is working as it was designed. Using Moho's scripting interface, it would be possible for someone to write another version of the Translate Layer tool that moves layers along their own plane of orientation.