Export .mov without background colour?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

kasjorg

Export .mov without background colour?

Post by kasjorg »

Hi, I´m playing around with moho and after effects and would like to export my character animation as a .mov file without any background colour , -so I only get my character when I import it to after effects! Is that possible in any way?

Kasper
Kasper
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

Export as quicktime. The sub-menu has an option to turn off premultiply alpha. You can either check that off or leave it alone it doesn't matter, just remember which setting you've picked(the default is premultiply alpha.) Click "OK". In the next menu pick the "Animation" codec and choose "millions+" colors(I think it's set to that by default.) Render the movie.

When you import into After Effects it'll ask you to choose between straight unmatted and premultiplied with alpha. Make sure you pick the right one and you're set to go.

Just a note: Straight vs. premultiplied alpha is a tricky subject but this video explains the basics:

Click here to watch the video
kasjorg

Post by kasjorg »

Cool :D thanks a lot. Now I can get on with playing:D
Kasper
SJMarky

Post by SJMarky »

Ever run in to this: I rendered out a scene with a transparent sky (I wanted to create the sky in other software) and sure enough animation with million+ colors left the sky empty - but for some reason other objects that were filled in Moho turned up transparent, too. In my case I had several layers at different depths: foreground, road, trees and hills. For some reason the trees were transparent along with the hills behind them in the rendered .mov. Never figured it out. The green in the trees appeared in other parts of the scene, but weren't transparent.

Any ideas?
Can a no-talent hack make cartoons with just clip art and a Mac? You bet!
kasjorg

Post by kasjorg »

I acctually heard about that problem before. I have only tried to render out single objects and then put them together in after effects but I guess I will run in to the problem soon :)
Kasper
DarthFurby

Post by DarthFurby »

I haven't run into this problem myself. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will enlighten us.