PNG transparency issue

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

nueroconnector

PNG transparency issue

Post by nueroconnector »

I've searched the forum but couldn't come up with a solution for this problem.

When I import pngs into the program there are very thin outlines around the edges when I overlap

them. I'm exporting from flash and I've tried smoothed and non smoothed. In moho I've messed with

no antialiasing, extra-smooth, do not premultiply alpha, layer blending modes, but no matter what I

do I still get the same problem. I've exported the same files into photoshop and they overlap with

no visible seams.

Heres what it should look like
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3457 ... hop7ot.png

And heres what it looks like in moho with the outline around the shoulder part of the arm.
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/5716/moho2bv.png

It may not seem like a big problem at first, but when you have a character with many overlapping

parts it sticks out like a sore thumb. I need the files in png format for a variety of reasons and

also find the workflow for creating objects in moho not very good.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Workaround: import them into PS and export from there? I can't help you with the flash export.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Someone will no doubt correct me if I am wrong, but I would have thought that the issue of premultiplied versus non-premultiplied would have to be addressed in the program exporting the image (Flash in this case), not in Moho. I think that Photoshop internally works with premultiplied alpha images which would explain why they look OK there.

Hope someone with a bit more knowledge can step in and help out.

Jeff G
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

The PNG specification calls for non-premultiplied alpha. I don't know if Flash is premultiplying the alpha channel, but it would explain these black fringes. If it is doing that, it shouldn't - that would not be a technically correct PNG file.
nueroconnector

Post by nueroconnector »

Its definately something in Moho, because i've exported those flash pngs to other programs and theres no problem. I think it might have to do something with the actual rendering, becasue when editing the files, the png transparency is perfect. Only when I preview or render does the problem surface.

Since Moho has 3d capabilities, maybe its something with OpenGl rendering? Are there any settings I should apply to my open gl settings?
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

Moho doesn't use OpenGL (or DirectX).

Can you post a link to your PNG files? Or email them to support@lostmarble.com?
nueroconnector

Post by nueroconnector »

Heres the head and body, let me know what you find, cause its driving me crazy!

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/9083/body8ne.png

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1364/head9ua.png
JUBARU

Post by JUBARU »

Mmm I think the problem is with your images, not with moho.

I imported both your files into moho, rendered and could see the black outline.

I loaded the same images into photoshop and couldnt see the outlines, but then exported them as pngs (save for web), imported them into moho and the outlines were there again.

So I took your images and redid them in photoshop with colour shapes, exported them as pngs into moho and no outlines appeared.

So I dont know what the problem is, but I think its somewhere in the conversion process from flash to moho. I've never had any similar problems using only photoshop and moho.
ingie01

Post by ingie01 »

Just so you have some additional input.
I have not used flash but Photoshop and Moho.
No problems with transparency.
You'll know when you get there! My Dad
nueroconnector

Post by nueroconnector »

What settings do you guys use for PNG export from photoshop? Also which version? I can live with creating content in Photoshop although I prefer Flash.

Thanks for all the input guys!
bupaje

Post by bupaje »

I'm not home so can't check but do you set a matte color for png images in Flash? This defines the color any anti-aliased edges are blended to. If you have a matte color set to black -at least with gif images- some of the transition pixels would blend to black resulting in an edge like this. Also I heard some talk about different PNG formats giving different results - PNG 8 vs PNG 24 - long shot but are you using some different settings like this that maybe Photoshop automatically adjusts for but Moho doesn't?
[url=http://burtabreu.animationblogspot.com:2gityfdw]My AnimationBlogSpot[/url:2gityfdw]