Walking

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

hairbug

Walking

Post by hairbug »

I was using the tutorial on animating bones and when I went to try to make my image walk, I couldn't figure it out. What I have is a simple drawing of a bird with two stick legs. I want to make the bird "walk in from the right and cross the screen. Do I animate the legs or do I save many layers of the same image with the legs fixed in different positions and then layer them all?

Jeff
heyvern

Post by heyvern »

You would have a bone structure for the bird...

... hips at the base... back... legs are children of the hips.

There are two ways I can think of to animate a walk...

1) Animate a stationary walk cycle. Just the walking motion with out forward motion. Then... key frame layer translation to create the forward motion.

2) Animate the forward motion with the bones...

You could start off the same as above... Instead of using layer translation for forward movement use the top level bone in the heirarchy... the hips.

You would need to keep track of the location of the feet as the character steps forward. Look for walk cycle references on the web or elsewhere.

It is much easier to get the walk cycle looking good when the character isn't moving. After you get it right you just animate the forward motion to "match" the steps.

-vern
alano

Post by alano »

Bunch of ways to do this depending on the model you have. I animate the legs and translate the root bone. You could just as easily translate the bone layer but I save that for setups usually. You can use the lock bone feature on the feet to keep them from slipping.

Hope this helps,

Alan
Get some "Good Advice" at www.decksawash.net
hairbug

Post by hairbug »

I have a copy of the bird drawing at www.maxyasgurproductions.com. I originally set up a bone for each leg. I could manipulate them independantly but couldn't figure how to make them walk. If someone could look at the picture and let me know what you think the bone structure should be I would appreciate it.

Jeff
alano

Post by alano »

Your link didn't work so....

Alan
Get some "Good Advice" at www.decksawash.net
hairbug

Post by hairbug »

Evidently this forum won't let you access the page through the link so you have to go outside of this forum to reach the page. If you cut and paste it will work. Sorry for the hassle.

Jeff
Hiddicop

Post by Hiddicop »

I think the reason the link doesn't work is that it has an extra "." after ".com". The correct link is http://www.maxyasgurproductions.com.
hairbug

Post by hairbug »

Thanks! Anybody interested in looking at the thread and that logo and suggesting how to do it, the help would be appreciated!

Jeff
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I had a look at the logo (nice one), here's my ideas:

Think of a real bird. Each of its legs consists of at least 4 parts: foot (toe & tarsus), lower leg (tibia), upper leg - which is hidden in the body.

Now the bones in Moho are invisible ... so you can make a setup with more bones than visible elements. The yellow stroke in the logo represents the lower leg part, so you'll have two more invisble bones connecting it to the pelvis. Have a look at the skeleton picture and build your bird's leg with as many bones as you see and the joints pointing in the right direction, and your walk will become quite natural.

Here's an example with names Image and another one showing the skeleton only: Image
hairbug

Post by hairbug »

I think I got it last night. I posted a moho file at http://www.maxyasgurproductions.com/walk.moho.

Any comments are welcome

Jeff
hairbug

Post by hairbug »

hairbug

Post by hairbug »

Sorry, I'm an idiot!

www.maxyasgurproductions.com