sometimes behind when I want it in-front.

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Postality

sometimes behind when I want it in-front.

Post by Postality »

i draw a character and if I move his arms (points) behind his body, one of his hands are in-front and on of them is behind his body. Reason for this is probably because of the order in which I drew him. do I have to change the depth of the points or how would I go about getting them both in front / back of him?

I don't have a moho file handy to show an example. Hopefully you get what I'm talking about ;)
Anime Studio - Ultimate Game Graphics
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

Are the pieces all on the same layer?

If so, and I'm understanding the problem correctly, it probably is the order you are drawing the shapes in or creating the shapes. Moho places the last shape drawn in a layer on top, whether it's an outline or fill.

Use the select shape tool, and select the problem shape. On the tool bar there are two arrows one pointing up (raise shape) and one pointing down (lower shape). Click either up or down to adjust the "layering" of the images. You can also use the menu: Drawing -> Raise Shape, Lower Shape, Raise to Front, Lower to Back.

Personally, I like putting as many body parts on different layers as makes sense: Torso, Neck, Head, Arms, Hands, Legs, Feet. Lining up the outlines is a bit of challenge but it ultimately give you more control while animating, espcially if you're taking advantage of depth (arms can swing in front of and behind the body, hands can go into the pockets by animating visibility, etc.)

Hope this helps!
________
Justin bieber fan
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Postality

Post by Postality »

Ah, I see.

That helped, thank you.

BTW there's a slight problem with this. (may need fixing)

You can only raise and lower a shape while in fill / outline mode (after hitting space to apply a fill and outline.)

What if you wanted to raise and lower shapes that you already have filled / outlined? Do you have to keep re-filling the object?

Is this a bug? if not maybe it should be changed so that you can move the shape even after you've applied a fill and outline, just a thought.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

You can change the ordering of shapes at any time - just use the Select Shape tool, click on the shape you want to move, and then use the arrows to raise/lower it.
Postality

Post by Postality »

Ah, Gotcha. I was using the selection tool to select the shapes.

Thanx. =)