bitmap bucket tool - colors dont change on expert

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

specialoh

bitmap bucket tool - colors dont change on expert

Post by specialoh »

if i color a psd file in moho (prob not the intended use) if i control R for preview it shows up perfect and if i run an animation preview it shows up perfect. i can export a PNG image through this screen.

but on a render (video or image) it reverts to the original color - i tried to change every setting i could see! :lol:
any insight O.o
Maestral

Re: bitmap bucket tool - colors dont change on expert

Post by Maestral »

It has been discussed recently - in short: either codecs or just keep it simple and export png (img) sequence & render in some video editor.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Sounds like the edits to your image are not being picked up by the renderer, that uses the file on disk to render (rather than its state in Moho). If so, try saving your Moho file (or maybe close and reopen it) before rendering. This should save the changes to the actual image file, allowing the renderer to see them.
specialoh

Post by specialoh »

Maestral wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:33 pm It has been discussed recently - in short: either codecs or just keep it simple and export png (img) sequence & render in some video editor.
okay thx :x don't know much about codecs and i never had to export just png
so the PNG export does not work in the render, same as video ----does this mean i would have to control R for preview and render out each frame as PNG individually? :cry:
specialoh

Post by specialoh »

synthsin75 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:33 pm Sounds like the edits to your image are not being picked up by the renderer, that uses the file on disk to render (rather than its state in Moho). If so, try saving your Moho file (or maybe close and reopen it) before rendering. This should save the changes to the actual image file, allowing the renderer to see them.
no luck with these! seems there will be no "easy export" and I probably have to do what buddy said ^^^

thx
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

This sounds odd.
If I go it right - animation preview shows the desired look? That's odd since it usually does not show all of the applied bits and tricks. Still, if that's how it works - why not use it for the final output? If it's a partial solution, export "the working" layers through the preview and the rest through the common export - and join those in some video editor. Most likely you would not have transparency so if needed, add some green or similarly coloured layer (green screen and stuff)

What kind of colouring did you do?

In regards to how to speed things up - as is, perhaps to edit psd's externally and drop them back.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Considering PSD is a proprietary format, Moho probably can't save changes to it like it can PNG, JPG, etc.. This means you will likely either need to edit the PSD in your image editor or import the PSD layers as individual images.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

specialoh wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:45 am
so the PNG export does not work in the render, same as video ----does this mean i would have to control R for preview and render out each frame as PNG individually? :cry:
Just use Moho Exporter; set it to PNG Image Sequence and this will render final quality frames of your entire animation in the intended colorspace. Then you can compile the image sequence in an compositing or editing program. Some movie players can also compile frames to a movie file.

Rendering movie files directly out of Moho not only has potential color space issues, but it can take longer to render and its more prone to crashing on low-memory systems. Rendering to image sequence, on the other hand, is not nearly as memory intensive and it's more reliable. Years ago, my workflow was to use the free VirtualDub program to batch process image sequences from multiple Moho projects to separate movie files. This was because I did my Moho animations on a light-weight laptop with only 4GB of RAM to animate in Moho. (Scareplane and HLF was mostly animated in Moho this way.)

Nowadays, I use Moho's Layer Comps to separate a scene into separate 'passes' (for example, FG, MG, BG, Character, custom mattes, etc,) and then I use Moho Exporter to automatically break out the layers to discreet image sequences for compositing. (Moho Exporter has a 'one-click' button for this.) Next, I import the layers to After Effects or Fusion, re-assemble the scene, apply any effects, and then output a final movie file from there for final editing in Vegas or Premiere. This is a fairly common workflow for animation.

Of course, you don't need to use Layer Comps or AE to get a final movie file from the Moho image sequence but, as you might see, this opens up a lot of creative possibilities for the footage that's not possible with using Moho alone.

In any case, rendering to image sequence and compiling the frames to a movie elsewhere is guaranteed to make the footage look right even if you don't do anything extra to it. :)

Hope this gives you some ideas to try.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

I have just tried this and Yup it's a buglet (I guess).

If you recolour/fill/edit a PSD (single or composite) using the Bitmap tool, then save, close and reopen the project - all the edits to the PSD layer are lost. i.e. The edit was never saved to the PSD image layer or file - as Wes indicated.

Fortunately ... there is an easy enough built-in solution. You can right click the PSD layer and select 'Duplicate as PNG' and then recolour/fill/edit the PNG layer and viola the edits stick and export as expected.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
specialoh

Post by specialoh »

Maestral wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:37 am This sounds odd.
If I go it right - animation preview shows the desired look? That's odd since it usually does not show all of the applied bits and tricks. Still, if that's how it works - why not use it for the final output? If it's a partial solution, export "the working" layers through the preview and the rest through the common export - and join those in some video editor. Most likely you would not have transparency so if needed, add some green or similarly coloured layer (green screen and stuff)

What kind of colouring did you do?

In regards to how to speed things up - as is, perhaps to edit psd's externally and drop them back.
i used the bitmap bucket tool to change the colors of a scene! yeah so that preview thing works no problem
except it takes a very, very long time. I have to do it 1 by 1 is the problem

exporting as pictures through the normal export option does not work even if i do just 1 frame it does not work it reverts back to original the same as rendering as video file!
specialoh

Post by specialoh »

They are PSD files not PNG i think is why these fixes don't work :(
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

specialoh wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:48 am They are PSD files not PNG i think is why these fixes don't work :(
Did you try - Right click the PSD layer and select 'Duplicate as PNG' and then recolour/fill/edit the PNG layer? - which should then work as expected.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Perhaps we skipped the most obvious step - How did you coloured the PDS with the bucket tool?
specialoh

Post by specialoh »

Maestral wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:40 am Perhaps we skipped the most obvious step - How did you coloured the PDS with the bucket tool?
lol the bitmap one not the weird one
specialoh

Post by specialoh »

SimplSam wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:48 am
specialoh wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:48 am They are PSD files not PNG i think is why these fixes don't work :(
Did you try - Right click the PSD layer and select 'Duplicate as PNG' and then recolour/fill/edit the PNG layer? - which should then work as expected.
i read as just "duplicate" so i just did the normal layer way i never even seen that option before! :oops:

Fixed :P

thank you. save me so much time like probably tens of thousands of clicks.
and since I generally work with PSDs you probably solved some future problems too