Cropping - works in moho - export has background

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

specialoh

Cropping - works in moho - export has background

Post by specialoh »

Im using the "erase" brush on bitmap function to get rid of background to crop images
once i render the white box of the object or w.e. background i have returns...

I was doing this before without issue
any idea what i could be doing wrong?

example of what im doing:

Googling "Violin" - using the bitmap "fill" or even the "erase" both i can erase background with
but after render its back even if i export as a png image sequence 1 frame at a time
specialoh

Re: Cropping - works in moho - export has background

Post by specialoh »

i really miss the old crop way with the "magic brush" and worked everytime....sigh
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Strange. Erasing pixels in an image layer should work. It's working here anyway.

If you're just cropping the image, can you just use the cropping tool or a mask layer? If you need the cropping to be non-destructive, either of these might work better.

Can you post a screen cap and/or upload an example project?
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue May 05, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I know this is no comfort but the new paint tools are pretty basic. I find they're useful for drawing something quick and simple inside Moho but maybe not-so-good for major image editing tasks. (Yet, anyways.) When I have a paint task that's bigger than quick drawings of hands or mouths for a switch layer, or a small edit to an imported image, I would make the changes in a paint program like Photoshop or Krita. For me, Painting out a background definitely falls in that category.
specialoh

Post by specialoh »

I find it much easier to stream line stuff to be honest i really liked the old "magic brush" it was a 1 click thing and so is this new bitmap thing but only when it works :( ill record video tonight!
specialoh

Post by specialoh »

Ok so no that there is no "magic crop" wand along with the normal square crop

i have tried using the "eraser" in bitmap image and the "fill" with the erase function and both work in program but render is not transparent

https://i.imgur.com/husqhSx.png

https://i.imgur.com/PLFac9s.png

https://i.imgur.com/S1NVHrL.png

---the crop wand was a 1 button process for me, and so are these 2 new ways if i can get them to work
If I press Control R (preview or test i think) I can save my image from that frame with the background gone and it works but i can't get the same result through render
--i used settings in last screen shot and also have tried a gif with transparency enable
Last edited by specialoh on Wed May 06, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
specialoh

Post by specialoh »

I actually just noticed even if i use the coloring option on the bitmap stuff it also does not show in render.

This is weird because I was most definitely doing this, with the same settings before... i think that may mean my render preferences are off but i have not changed them
specialoh

Post by specialoh »

So i was working on another project where I am able to use the bitmap tools....im on frame 36 and im like lets try for fun so i imported the violin and it worked

can it have to do with not having frames animated? or because it was done on 0?

here is screen shot of when it worked (same render settings):
https://i.imgur.com/DdcXMBN.png
https://i.imgur.com/CHopZIF.png
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, it would be nice to see a version of the Image Masking tool (what you called 'magic crop') come back. I think SM lost this one because the code for the tool was owned by a third party. A similar tool is available in many paint programs like Photoshop, Krita (free), etc., so I would just do it there and export a PNG with alpha for Moho. This is much faster than erasing the background manually in Moho or painting a layer mask in Moho.

I like what's in Moho's paint tools for creating quick simple things that I don't want to bother jumping into another program for but there are a few 'standards' l'd like to see added to Moho's paint tools to make it more useful. For example, a lasso/marquee selection tool and basic transformations for pixel selections are needed. A clone brush would be very useful too. What we have now is a good start but it's missing these and a few other essential paint tools for serious production work.

Hopefully we'll see another update with more features soon.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Fri May 08, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
specialoh

Post by specialoh »

Greenlaw wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:51 pm Yeah, it would be nice to see a version of the Image Masking tool (what you called 'magic crop') come back. I think SM lost this one because the code for the tool was owned by a third party. A similar tool is available in many paint programs like Photoshop, Krita (free), etc., so I would just do it there and export a PNG with alpha for Moho. This is much faster than erasing the background manually in Moho or painting a layer mask in Moho.

I like what's in Moho's paint tools for creating quick simple things that I don't want to bother jumping into another program for but there are a few 'standards' l'd like to see added to Moho's paint tools to make it more useful. For example, a lasso/marquee selection tool and basic transformations for pixel selections are needed. A clone brush would be very useful too. What we have now is a good start but it's missing these and a few other essential tools for serious production work.

Hopefully we'll see another update with more features soon.
yee thx I will try to start getting used to doing it in a third party app!