white line

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Metoo

white line

Post by Metoo »

Hi All quick question i have removed the stroke and now im getting a white line where the stroke use to be when rendered. Does anyone know how to get rid of that??
alanthebox

Re: white line

Post by alanthebox »

I think a little more context may be necessary to troubleshoot. Do you have an image you could share of the render, the workspace, and maybe the layer hierarchy?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I can think of different solutions for an unwanted 'white line' but you need to post a project file or at least an image so I know which one applies in your case.
Metoo

Post by Metoo »

i would be glad to upload a photo..........just dont know how hehe
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

You need to register on a photo-sharing site (I use imgur.com). It's really easy to upload images to them, and they give you some code which you can post here so that anyone can see them.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Metoo

Post by Metoo »

Metoo

Post by Metoo »

dont know if i did it right or not. but when i hit the reply i see the image but not in the thread....i dunno.....
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

My first thought is you may have vector artwork with the same paths duplicated to different layers but with different regions filled with a shape. The curve(s) that border the shapes may then render with a thin white line (it's actually a gap.) In this situation, a slight mismatch in the anti-aliasing can render as a white line. (I think it's because Moho renders the AA for each layer separately.)

I do this sometimes when I need identical paths but different parts of the paths filled for stacking purposes. For example, when I want a 'continuous' shape between the upper and lower arm, and I've separated them with a curve at the elbow joint. The thin white line may then appear at the elbow joint. in this case, I fix the issue by adding a single point in the middle of the elbow path in one layer and pull the point to overlap the lower path slightly. This covers up the white line and it's a very easy fix. It's not always appropriate but it works well for solid shape fills.

A more 'proper' fix is to disable AA and then apply AA in a post process. The turning off AA should render the outline without the thin line. Unfortunately, you'll then need to apply the AA in a separate render pass. That said, you may be surprised to learn that many of the 2D animation studios we work with render with no AA to make keying and composting much easier, and then an AA smoothing process is applied over the final pass. I typically use After Effects with the free OLM Smoother plugin which was created specifically for this purpose.

I'm not sure what would happen if you import the non-AA version into a new Moho project and then re-rendered from there with AA applied. Moho's AA is meant to work withe vectors so it might not do anything to pre-rendered images. Might be worth experimenting with.

My second thought is that this might be a masking issue. I'm not sure why there would be a mask over the hair like that but under certain masking combinations in Moho, a thin white line may appear during rendering. To fix this, you might try enabling Expand Mask By A Pixel. (That's what this option is for.)

I can think of other reasons for unwanted thin lines in rendering, but I really need to see what the setup is in your project to make sense of it. Otherwise, I'm just guessing. This really shouldn't be happening unless there is something unusual about the shapes or layering.

Hope this helps you figure the problem out.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Another thing to check:

Does this still show in a proper render using Moho Exporter or Export Animation? The Preview command (ctrl-R) doesn't render images exactly the same as the final quality renderer, and it may sometimes render the image with artifacts. Preview is good for a quick check of your project but I wouldn't rely on it for 100% accuracy. For that, you need to use one of the final quality renderers.

This seems unlikely to solve what I see in your image but worth checking to get it off the list.
Metoo

Post by Metoo »

https://imgur.com/rdQPZwq

Whole two years later and still haven't figured this out. Dont see this white line/outline in editing but when i render or export same white outline.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Metoo wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:15 am https://imgur.com/rdQPZwq

Whole two years later and still haven't figured this out. Dont see this white line/outline in editing but when i render or export same white outline.
Have you seen the last two messages from Greenlaw?
Metoo

Post by Metoo »

yes I seen Greenlaw posts and checked all his suggestion. Unfortunately they didnt resolve the issue. its weird because there are multiple objects in the layer, but its only on this one shape. its almost as if there is an halo effect on the hair. but isnt an effect applied.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I sometimes I'll see a thin gap when when I overlay a duplicate layer and I've split a shape into two contiguous shapes. (For example, between upper and lower arm sections.) Basically, when you have two anti-aliased edges bordering each other, they don't align perfectly. To fix this, I add a point to the contiguous edge in one layer and so I can drag the edge over the other layer's edge. This in not a normal situation but it works. (Note: this happens when the shapes are in different layers, not when they are in the same layer.) I think your situation is technically different but maybe this solution can apply?

The alternative, as mentioned before, is to render without AA and to apply AA as a post process in a compositing program.

Anyway, under normal circumstances you shouldn't be seeing that line at all, and I'm still not sure what we're looking at in your image. You should upload an example project file that shows this error so one of us here can troubleshoot it for you. So far, this has been a guessing game.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Metoo

Post by Metoo »

how do i upload a file?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

You'll want to use a file sharing service or cloud storage like Dropbox or Google Drive. After copying your file there, you can copy and paste the link here. It's basically the same as how you inserted the pic, but file sharing and cloud storage works for any file type, not just images.

Personally, I like to use Dropbox to host images and project files for this forum. If you don't expect to upload a lot of files, the free account should be enough.