Import Reference Constraints?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SuperSGL

Import Reference Constraints?

Post by SuperSGL »

I imported a character as a reference saved it to work on animations. Use the original file to adjust and add more functionality. Do the constraints carry over to the reference file. Angle, Independent... or Squash and Stretch (the check boxes) I'm not seeing them show up :?
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
synthsin75

Re: Import Reference Constraints?

Post by synthsin75 »

Only animated stuff (that can be keyframed on the timeline) is referenced. So you want you're model set up (frame zero) to be complete beforehand.
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

Thank you. Thought I changed a smart bones interaction with points on one occasion and figured I could change other parameters as well.
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, somethings will update and others won't. Bone Strength, for example; If you change that in the 'master' rig, it doesn't get updated in the imported reference. I guess it's like Wes said, if it's not a keyframeable property, it won't get updated.

Also, be aware that somethings that will update in an imported reference can completely hose your animation. Because of this, I always warn animators I'm working with to always update a copy of their project and only if they really need the revised features in the master rig.

If you don't need the revision, it doesn't hurt the project to ignore the rig update alerts in the Layers Window.