Bezier points animation bug in rotating and shortening bone

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Daxel

Re: Bezier points not working as expected

Post by Daxel »

synthsin75 wrote:It's logged on the beta site for Moho 13, so there's no way to provide you any tracking. You would have to report it to SM support yourself to track it, and I'm not sure how much support and beta overlap. Suffice it to say, there's no bug fixing going on for v12...
Well I'm happy to know about Moho 13 being on beta. I guess there is no release date, but it is expected to be released soon?
If it has the beziers working well for animation and a few new features, I would love it (:
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Daxel wrote:
synthsin75 wrote:It's logged on the beta site for Moho 13, so there's no way to provide you any tracking. You would have to report it to SM support yourself to track it, and I'm not sure how much support and beta overlap. Suffice it to say, there's no bug fixing going on for v12...
Well I'm happy to know about Moho 13 being on beta. I guess there is no release date, but it is expected to be released soon?
If it has the beziers working well for animation and a few new features, I would love it (:
I have no idea if a fix for the beziers is going to make it into 13.0, but if not, hopefully in a free update to v13.
No announced release date yet.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote:As mentioned, I think it's nice to have bezier tools available but I don't prefer them for animation elements in Moho. In general, Moho points are just a lot easier to control in a rig.
Me too. Since I can get the same results without beziers (and I've done so for so long), I rarely even think to use beziers. It's also one less thing to worry about when animating, where a bezier handle might not deform as you'd like, requiring animating individual bezier handles to fix. I'd much rather do most the animation with bones.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

I use bezier curves a lot for animation.
I think one of the "secrets" (it's not a secret, but I think maybe no one has posted it here yet) is to keep most of corners as peak (Ctrl+P).
Bones will always move the bezier handles when bending a vector, so any corner made with handles will be distorted. If that distortion happens in a joint, it probably won't look good.
So for instance, if you want a corner like the one of the picture, it's better to keep the corner as "peak" in Moho and get the curve you want by modifying the bezier handles of the points next to it (or add new points if necessary).
So, in this case, the shape at the right will work better than the one at the left.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hmm...that's very interesting. I will have to give that a try.

Thanks for the tip, Victor!
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

Víctor Paredes wrote:I use bezier curves a lot for animation.
I think one of the "secrets" (it's not a secret, but I think maybe no one has posted it here yet) is to keep most of corners as peak (Ctrl+P).
Bones will always move the bezier handles when bending a vector, so any corner made with handles will be distorted. If that distortion happens in a joint, it probably won't look good.
So for instance, if you want a corner like the one of the picture, it's better to keep the corner as "peak" in Moho and get the curve you want by modifying the bezier handles of the points next to it (or add new points if necessary).
So, in this case, the shape at the right will work better than the one at the left.
Thank you for the tip, Víctor, very interesting.
Thanks to the kind users that helped me in this post, I learnt very much. I see that there are two different things being talked about in this post:
1) Like all of you made me understand, Moho beziers are still a bit difficult to animate, more than normal points. You have to learn a few more things to achieve good results.
2) There is currently a bug that breaks the bezier animation when it is in a rotating and shortening bone. That should not happen and is already reported as a bug by Wes.
rocken

Re: Bone shortening not working as expected

Post by rocken »

synthsin75 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:40 am Okay, this is a repeatable bug, and I'll report it to the devs. I've narrowed down what causes it and there's not really a workaround other than not using beziers. But in your case, you are already using enough points to create the exact same shapes without beziers. Here's an example: http://www.filedropper.com/nobeziernoproblem
Please synthsin75 how do i view your links...whenever i click on it, i am taken to filedropper.com home page
synthsin75

Re: Bone shortening not working as expected

Post by synthsin75 »

rocken wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:05 pm
synthsin75 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 3:40 am Okay, this is a repeatable bug, and I'll report it to the devs. I've narrowed down what causes it and there's not really a workaround other than not using beziers. But in your case, you are already using enough points to create the exact same shapes without beziers. Here's an example: http://www.filedropper.com/nobeziernoproblem
Please synthsin75 how do i view your links...whenever i click on it, i am taken to filedropper.com home page
I post quick, one-offs to Filedropper, but those links don't last long and I don't keep those files. The one posted here is just using point curvature to match bezier point curves. It's nothing special.
Daxel

Re: Bezier points animation bug in rotating and shortening bone

Post by Daxel »

Hello!
I just tested if the Mult Rush's point selection tool solved this bug but no, it does not. It helps with other bugs tho.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY9Viw3FItM&t=18s
Can someone tell me if these bezier bugs are still there in Moho 13?
Edit: I found something new. This bug also can happen even if you don't manually change the beziers, because using the "fixed bezier handles" option will create curvature changes too.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Victor recently mentioned, elsewhere, that he doesn't have problems with bezier points. He said peaking sharp points, with the curvature tool (or ctrl+P), instead of breaking the bezier handles is the key.
Since I don't usually use beziers, I don't remember how to set up this bug to test it myself. If someone wants to try it out, or upload a problem file (OP link is dead), we could check it as a workaround.
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

synthsin75 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:04 pm Victor recently mentioned, elsewhere, that he doesn't have problems with bezier points. He said peaking sharp points, with the curvature tool (or ctrl+P), instead of breaking the bezier handles is the key.
Since I don't usually use beziers, I don't remember how to set up this bug to test it myself. If someone wants to try it out, or upload a problem file (OP link is dead), we could check it as a workaround.
Oh my link is dead? Ill see if i can upload it again. If I remember correctly Victor also gave a similar advice here in my post. Actually the post was made to expose the bug to improve the software, not to solve my problem, as that arm didnt need to be drawn exactly like that.

Edit: link updated!