Copy and paste switch layer animation to another layer?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

NealF

Copy and paste switch layer animation to another layer?

Post by NealF »

Hi,

I've got 3 sheep that I'm animation to sing. All 3 have their own mouth drawings. The switch layers are the same except for some drawing detail to match the photo of the sheep and, of course, the position of the mouths.

I thought I could just animate the first sheep and then copy and paste the animation to the other switch layer for sheep two and three. I see the animation copied okay, but there's no motion happening in the other switch layers. even though the animation is there.

Seems like this should be a no brainer, but something wrong.

Thanks.
hayasidist

Re: Copy and paste switch layer animation to another layer?

Post by hayasidist »

?? do you have exactly the same names of child layers in all three switches?

with one of the "animation there but no motion" switches selected, activate the Special / Switch layer tool and watch the "Active Child" dropdown -- if that stays blank, then there is a naming mismatch between the switch layers' child layers (switches work by using a the name - stored as a text string - of the active child layer -- if you have a text string in the switch channel that doesn't match a layer name the keyframe containing the text will be there but there won't be a child of that name to activate).
NealF

Re: Copy and paste switch layer animation to another layer?

Post by NealF »

Ah!

That's the problem. I had no idea the names had to be exactly the same. I fixed that and they worked.
Thanks.