change color on smart bone controlled mouth

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

TNL

change color on smart bone controlled mouth

Post by TNL »

have a very basic mouth I have made and the tongue is a darker red tone...have it attached to a smart bone control for lip syncing. I would like to change the color of the tongue and do so in each file but the sm bone only works with the original colored files even thought I have changed them...why and is there a work around without setting up an new sm bone
Greenlaw

Re: change color on smart bone controlled mouth

Post by Greenlaw »

I'm not sure I understand your setup but changing the color of a shape should just be a matter of changing the style color. Typically, I use a Custom Style for shapes created for mouths and hands so I can easily re-purpose the elements for different characters. Changes to the Custom Style automatically perpetuate throughout the rest of the character wherever those Custom Styles have been applied. (Like using custom styles in a word processor program.)

Tip: If you're using the custom style modified for a different character, you'll need to change the Style ID. To do this, import the character back into the project that already has this character. When the Insert Object window appears, enable Unlink Shared Styles. This will force the second copy to import with different Style IDs that won't conflict with other character that might otherwise have the same IDs. Now delete the first copy of the character and keep the second copy with the unique Style IDs. (Note: don't confuse Style IDs with Style Names. Two Styles with different names can have the same Style IDs (which can cause these conflict problems,) but two Styles with different ID's are always unique as far as Moho is concerned.)

Or are you talking about using the Smart Bone to change mouth/tongue colors as part of an animation? To do that, you simply add keys to change the styles in the action. You'll see the style changes appear on the timeline. But note that if you use Custom Styles, you won't see the keyframes on the timeline for a Smart Bone Action. (There is a workaround for this. It's a bit convoluted and I think I described it in another thread a few days ago so I won't go into it here.)
TNL

Post by TNL »

I just went in an redid the smart bone dial....it was easy enough once I tried.....I guess I could set up some styles...I am really new to all this and will be 77 years young this year..I have been using this program for 4 years...(not 24/7) but I am really starting to know what the heck I am doing...LOL
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

TNL wrote:...I have been using this program for 4 years...(not 24/7) but I am really starting to know what the heck I am doing...LOL
Welcome aboard! :)

Moho can be fun to work with and it's not especially difficult to learn but, yeah, the UI and workflow are not always obvious. To be fair, the program has improved considerably in the last few versions, and hopefully it will continue on that path.

Anyway, feel free to ask questions about Moho here. There's many very helpful users here who are glad to share their knowledge. I've been using Moho for a few years for TV animation, and I still feel like I learn something new here every week. :)

BTW, I've been working on some tips and techniques videos which you may find helpful. I'll make an announcement when I start posting the content.