Color-Correcting images inside Moho?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DrNibbert

Color-Correcting images inside Moho?

Post by DrNibbert »

Hello,

i want to re-use the same image-file multiple times but recolor it slightly for each instance. Is there a way to achieve this inside Moho? The idea is, that i don't have to create multiple image-files, but do the color-correction inside Moho and just work with one image file.
Is that possible somehow?
The only idea i came up with is using a instance of the image with a color-overlay (Colorize Layer) set the blending mode to Hue/Color?

Thanks for ideas?
Showreel 2018 https://vimeo.com/254290989 - Moho 12.5.1, macOS 10.10, Adobe CS6
slowtiger

Re: Color-Correcting images inside Moho?

Post by slowtiger »

I did this with black-and-white images and an overlay set to multiply, both in a group, the image serving as mask for the colour layer.

Other than that Moho doesn't offer any colour changing operations on bitmaps.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

what I've often done is to make a greyscale image with highlights around xD0D0D0 and shadows around x303030 (and neutral at x808080), then have a colour layer with blend mode overlay over that. You can use the greyscale as a clipping mask as slowtiger says. Combine more than one set of colour-overlay/greyscale clipping mask groups to get what you want. Animate the colour fill if you wish. Most of the textured / animated colours in this are done that way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN-tXtQi-Yg e.g. the opening title; the terrain; the star showers...

so, to answer your question - assuming you want an Andy Warhol effect -- what I'd try is:
> greyscale the image;
> create "region" masks either by "element" (e.g. hair, eyes, nose ..) and/or by (e.g.) posterizing (to separate out shadows, highlights etc) to create a complementary breakdown of the whole;
> have a set of colour overlays that cover the whole image - typically single colour for Warhol but there's no real restriction;

Colour Set 1
>Region Group 1 - masking hide all
>> colour 1 - blend mode overlay - mask this layer
>> greyscale image - mask this layer
>> region 1 mask - add to invisibly to mask

> Region Groups 2 onwards - same construction for each separate region...

Colour Set 2 -- same again but change the fill colour layers.

A little thought will allow extensive use of "copy by reference"

Hope that's useful .. if not please say.
DrNibbert

Post by DrNibbert »

Thanks a lot for those great ideas! :-)

This Greyscale + Color-Layer technique is exactly what i was looking for, perfect :-)

But how is it possible to use an image-file (with alpha) as clipping mask for a vector-layer? I tried the same way as i would with 2 Vector-Layers (both in a group, group set to 'Hide all', the image set to 'add to mask', the vector to 'mask this layer') but i just see a rectangular mask instead of the outline of the Alpha?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5y8emml18qiq ... k.png?dl=0

Edit: Aah, i just realised that this is once again the "GPU Acceleration ON/OFF"-Problem, when i turn off GPU it is displayed correctly :-)
Showreel 2018 https://vimeo.com/254290989 - Moho 12.5.1, macOS 10.10, Adobe CS6
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

glad to help! (and yeah - I almost always keep GPU off too!)