egg cracking as in Jurassic Park

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

zoesan

egg cracking as in Jurassic Park

Post by zoesan »

I'm trying to accomplish an egg shell crack, got the reveal strokes and over time:
layer with egg shape in black shaded below, next above is egg layer with texture: masking seems to be working, with first vector layer at least, but can't figure out how to finally reveal the contents. My first masking of folder titled: egg crack has masking as reveal all: my second is the first portion of the crack in shell as: don't mask this layer (there will be a couple more 'portions' to follow. My third mask is: is on the black shaded as: clear the mask as this layer to it. So far so good, but can't figure out the figure I want to be revealed into the mix either by layer order or 'masking' method.
slowtiger

Re: egg cracking as in Jurassic Park

Post by slowtiger »

I'd set this up like this:

Code: Select all

- group layer (hide all)
- - cracks layer (do not mask)
- - egg inside layer (mask this layer)
- - group layer (add to mask)
- - - egg shell piece layer 1
- - - egg shell piece layer 2
- - - egg shell piece layer 3
This way I can switch visibility of shell pieces one by one wihtout ever touching any mask settings.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
zoesan

Re: egg cracking as in Jurassic Park

Post by zoesan »

thanks slowtiger just working on it as I speak, may have found an even easier method with no 'masking' by using the original layer duplicating, making the first cracked portion: then subtracting the points from the original unedited layer leaving revealing the black plus figure: using 'peak' and 'lock bezier' to give it a hard edge and keep the egg shape: something like pathfinder in illustrator. Will use your post in the event face some unforeseen problem.