Put points on a circle and delete them without deforming it?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Sketch_Turner

Put points on a circle and delete them without deforming it?

Post by Sketch_Turner »

This sounds like a dumb question, but I'm actually at a loss here.
So I draw a circle, right, and then I put some points onto its edge. If you don't uncheck the "Sharp points" box, this action immediately turns the circle into something decidedly less circle-y. OK, let's uncheck it and put the points. Great! Although not really: if you delete any of these new points, the circle will still deform, morphing from "pizza" into "squashed soccer ball." Any ideas on how to avoid such a transformation and preserve the round shape?
Sketch_Turner

Re: Put points on a circle and delete them without deforming

Post by Sketch_Turner »

Well, I always use fixed bezier handles, and masks should be considered, in my opinion, only as a last resort method, because, as I recently discovered, they can slow the rendering process waaaay down. I actually was going to use a mask in this case, but then I thought: wait, this is silly, there MUST be a better way to achieve suck a simple goal.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Did you "enable bezier handles and fixed bezier handles"?
chucky

Post by chucky »

It's easy.
Just draw from the inside to the edge to divide without distortion.
Forget about the handles, just draw each point from the centre.
Sketch_Turner

Post by Sketch_Turner »

synthsin75 wrote:Did you "enable bezier handles and fixed bezier handles"?
Yes, and when you put a new point onto a curve, it still changes the bezier values for the nearby points - that's why the curve deforms when you delete this new point. I'm really surprised there isn't a way to restore the original values.
Sketch_Turner

Post by Sketch_Turner »

chucky wrote:It's easy.
Just draw from the inside to the edge to divide without distortion.
Forget about the handles, just draw each point from the centre.
That's all fine and well until you want to delete something.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Sketch_Turner wrote:
synthsin75 wrote:Did you "enable bezier handles and fixed bezier handles"?
Yes, and when you put a new point onto a curve, it still changes the bezier values for the nearby points - that's why the curve deforms when you delete this new point. I'm really surprised there isn't a way to restore the original values.
Yeah, you're right. Adding a point changes the neighboring bezier handles to maintain the shape. So deleting the point doesn't restore the last orientation of the handles. Moho doesn't usually keep track of that (as that would likely use a lot of RAM), but you can use the timeline to do so. When in doubt, disable "Enable drawing tools only on frame 0" and add your points on a higher frame. As long as bezier handles are locked, added points won't deform the shape and they will keyframe the change to the neighboring bezier handles. And if you delete a point added down the timeline, you can also delete the point curvature key that changed the neighboring bezier handles.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

You don't _have_ to delete the extra points - just delete (or don't create) the shape on the initial circle ... e.g. with autofill / auto stroke on
- draw the circle
- use the add point tool to create the new lines from the centre as described by chucky
- use the delete shape tool to remove the fill / stroke from the shapes created
- use the create shape tool on just the "wedge"

the points on the initial circle are still there but as an "invisible scaffolding"
Sketch_Turner

Post by Sketch_Turner »

synthsin75 wrote:
Sketch_Turner wrote:disable "Enable drawing tools only on frame 0" and add your points on a higher frame
Bloody hell, I didn't even know drawing after frame 0 was possible in Moho! Thanks for the tip.