Add additional art to a rig??

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Gibble

Add additional art to a rig??

Post by Gibble »

I have a rigged character and I want to add more art to it (boot needs more laces).
Can this be done even though its already rigged? If so, how do I do this??

Thanks.
Greenlaw

Re: Add additional art to a rig??

Post by Greenlaw »

Yes, of course you can. But without seeing your setup, it's just a guess how to best approach it.

Generally speaking:

- If the layer is using Flexi-binding or Layer Binding, you can add/remove from the layer without issues. With these methods, it's the layer that's bound, not the contents of the layer.

- If you're adding layers for layer binding, just continue to use Layer binding. This won't affect layers already bound.

- If you're adding layers for Flexi-binding, Flexi-binding is the default method so it's bound automatically.

- If you're adding layers for Use Selected Bones For Flexi-binding, just select the bones, the new layer(s) and select the command. This adds to the binding using this method and does not affect (i.e., unbind) existing bindings using this method.

- If Point binding is used, you'll need to update the binding to include any new points. When you select the bone, the currently bound points will become highlighted. Select those points and any new points that should be bound to that bone and bind them.

- If you combine binding methods (i.e., Flexi-binding plus Point Binding,) you'll still need to Point bind any new points that want them affected only by a specific bone. Otherwise, they will be affected by Flexi-binding (which may be what you want. It depends on what you're creating for the character of course.)

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Gibble

Re: Add additional art to a rig??

Post by Gibble »

Thanks for your assistance, DR! Very much appreciated.

Oops: this issue was actually 100% human error aka stupid me :) I was trying to add laces to wrong foot (left foot) and wondering why they weren't moving when I tested the right leg. Because it was bound to the other foot. Duh!!!

To answer your question though- I used point binding vectors onto the bone.
Steps:
1. Select bone > 2. select points > 3. Bind Points

And this method has been working very well as long as you place the object to the correct bone :)

Thanks again, DR! I do have an IK flipping question though but I will post that in a seperate thread.