can I export sound from the timeline?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

willwillwill

can I export sound from the timeline?

Post by willwillwill »

I need to export all the sound that I have synced up with the lips out of moho so that it's one sound clip, that way we can work with the sound itself in another program. How would you recommend I do that?
Thank you
Greenlaw

Re: can I export sound from the timeline?

Post by Greenlaw »

For now:
Moho doesn't export audio only files. You'll have to use a video format. If necessary, you can convert that to an audio format in another program. (Maybe a video editor like Vegas, or audio program like Audacity, for example.) From Moho, you'll want to use an uncompressed format so the audio doesn't get degraded in the process.

For the future:
Moho's audio editing support is pretty basic, which normally is all it really needs to be, and I wouldn't use it for final audio mixes. To begin, you should have your audio edited in your video or audio editor, where you assemble your animatic (the storyboard panels timed to audio.) When you have the animatic ready, export the animatic and/or audio track. Ideally, each scene should be exported as an individual clip. These clips will be used as referece for your Moho animations and lip sync.

In Moho, import the animatic scene's footage and/or audio, and create your Moho animation to sync with the imported audio. When you're done, output the animation only, with no audio.

Finally, as each animated scene is completed, import the footage to your video editor and overcut the animatic footage with the Moho clips. Assuming the frame rate was correct, the clips should sync with the master audio track. If you need to edit the audio from there, you have all the pieces (dialog, music, sfx) and better audio editing and mixing tools to work with.

If you don't have a video editor and don't wish to buy one, there are a few decent free options out there. (For example, there is s super basic one called OpenShot.)

That said, obviously, Moho's audio could stand improvements. But I'd rather see the developers spend their time improving other things in Moho since the current audio system is 'good enough' in a normal animation workflow. (This is, of course, just my personal opinion.)

Hope this helps.