Is It Possible To Save and Load bone animation?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

MarcoM

Is It Possible To Save and Load bone animation?

Post by MarcoM »

Hey guys ,

Been playing with moho for a week or so now and I'm curious if there is a way to save bone animation and load it on a different character with same bone structure ? I can't find a way to do it but it would save tons of time if I could just build library of animations and load repetitive ones to different characters.

Thanks!
Greenlaw

Re: Is It Possible To Save and Load bone animation?

Post by Greenlaw »

Yes, you do this through the Actions window. Just add the animation as a Regular Action and the export it. You can import that action into another project and apply it to a character there.

Things to consider:

1. The rigs must be hierarchically identical.

2. The bones proportions in the target rig can be different but depending on the character design, it may cause some, um, interesting results. Most of the time, this shouldn't be difficult to correct.

Alternatively, you can just copy/paste the keyframes from one rig/project to another.

Almost forgot: you can store the Actions in the Library too. This makes the 'collection' accessible all the time.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Additional note: This is probably just me but, unless you expect your characters to repeat motions exactly over and over again, a walk and run cycle might be the only useful motions for re-use. I used to think tail 'wave' animations were worth re-using but I stopped that after the Sketch Bones tool was added. Now it's just easier to 're-sketch' the key poses instead of applying a preset Action and taking the time edit it for the new scene.

Most of the time, animating in Moho is usually pretty fast and easy, so I don't bother saving motions for re-use. (Rigging is the time-consuming part in Moho, not animation.)
MarcoM

Post by MarcoM »

Thanks alot , thats what I meant , I didn't know about the bone sketch tool:)