Keyframes not showing up?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

animas3D

Keyframes not showing up?

Post by animas3D »

Hi, I have a layer with animation on it (a bone layer). However, in the timeline, the keyframes don't show up except for a dogeared "document-style" icon on the left with just one channel of "white keyframes" visible.

The actual animation is still happening and the single line of white keyframes are in the timeline which correspond to the animation, but the channels for bone rotation are just gone as well as the channels for colored bones, layers, etc. Somehow it looks like it was all collapsed into that one line of keyframes.

There are other bone layers in the project that work fine.

Does anyone know how I can get to the keyframes so I can work on them?

Thank you.
Watch The Climb (Made with Moho): https://youtu.be/Z2c7GfGiT8A
animas3D

Re: Keyframes not showing up?

Post by animas3D »

Okay, so if I right-click on the dog-eared icon (All Channels) and I choose unconsolidate channels, then I can see the keyframes again, but now there are lots of channels for every property. How do I get it back down to just bone rotation? There are too many channels now.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Do all the unwanted visible channels have keyframes on them? If so, you'll need to remove the keyframes to make them channels go away from the timeline. The timeline always shows keyframes for the active layer.

To remove the keyframes you can first unselect all keys by pressing Esc. Then click on the channel icons for each channel you wish to clear. This will select all the keys for each channel. Then press delete. The channels should be cleared and be removed from the timeline.

If there are too many active channels, it may be faster to just drag the marquee over the keys in the timeline and delete them that way.

Another way is to click channels you wish to keep, copy the selected keys to the clipboard, then clear all the keyframes and paste the keys from the clipboard back into the timeline.

If you wish to hide channels, you can do that from Timeline Channels. I don't normally recommend that though because you might be hiding keyframes you need to edit. The exception is Color Bones...I use Timeline Channels to hide all Color Bones channels to reduce Timeline clutter. Color Bones channels are generally not needed and the bone keyframes are visible in the timeline anyway even when you hide these channels.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

If you have cleared a channel of keyframes but you still see the channel in the timeline, it's possible that there is a keyframe you can't see. Most likely, the keyframe is present to the left of zero. Check the position of the green arrow to see if the timeline has been offset. If it is, you can slide the timeline using R-click Drag. Drag it to the right and it may reveal the 'hidden' keyframe. (You'll probably want to slide the green arrow back to frame 1 unless you intentionally offset it.) Clicking the channel icon should also select any hidden keys and allow you to delete it. (Alternatively, you can use Sequencer to slide the timeline for the active layer.)

There's a rare situation where a keyframe at frame 0 will remain even after other keys in that channel have been deleted. Sometime creating a key later in the timeline and then copying and pasting it at frame 0 will allow you to delete it.
animas3D

Post by animas3D »

Thank you. I will try what in a bit, as soon as I finish working on another scene.