Moho >< Adobe workflow??

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Gibble

Moho >< Adobe workflow??

Post by Gibble »

How can I get a Moho to/from Adobe pipeline??

I want to create vectors in any program (Moho/Illustrator/etc) so both Moho and Illustrator (or Photoshop) can import them. But I don't want to create the graphics twice in each program.

What is the best workflow to achieve compatible vectors??
Create in Illustrator and import to Moho??
or
Create in Moho and import to Illustrator??

If so, what import/export format and settings do I use?

I am new to Moho and assumed this would be a standard task- but apparently this is not simple at all. Please help! I really want to use Moho but also need vectors to be readable in Illustrator or Photoshop.

Thank you in advance!! :P
synthsin75

Re: Moho >< Adobe workflow??

Post by synthsin75 »

Create in Moho and export as SVG to elsewhere. Many vector apps include raster elements and special effects in their formats, and many of these are not compatible with how Moho is optimized for animation.
Gibble

Post by Gibble »

Thanks for the advice! Very much appreciated. I am just beginning learning the drawing tools in Moho and it not a familiar feeling whatsoever. This is going to take some getting used to :)

Clip Studio: is this a suitable option for creating vector graphics? I never used it but it looks more intuitive than Moho. And since its a Smith/Micro application, I'd assume it would be compatible. Or am I just fooling myself and I should just get focused on learning the Moho drawing tools??

Thank you again :)
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

No, CS is only distributed by SM, while Moho is developed by SM. You can be successful importing other vectors into Moho, but do tests first, to find out what features may not be compatible. That's why I said create in Moho. It's the simplest answer, but far from the only workable one.
Gibble

Post by Gibble »

Thanks for the explanation. I will buckle down and learn the drawing tools of Moho then ;) Thanks again for your help and explanations.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

ClipStudio Paint is a great drawing program (it's what I use for the Brudders comics) but this program does not export vector artwork, only bitmap. CSP features excellent vector tools but the vectors are used only within the program and can't be exported as vector art.

You can create vector graphics in Adobe Illustrator and import them to Moho via SVG, but if your intention is to deform the vector shapes in Moho using bones, you're much better off drawing the elements inside Moho.

If the intention is to create vector art for Illustrator, you should be using the vector tools in Illustrator. There is no advantage in drawing vectors using Moho for import to Illustrator. Illustrator's vector tools are actually far more capable than Moho's vector tools.

But Moho's vector tools are more optimal for creating vectors for animation inside Moho. It might make sense to create character art in Illustrator if you don't plan to deform the artwork (i.e., you're just using the Bind Layer tool.) Getting good deformations in Moho is dependent on careful point placement in relation to the bones position and rotation, which is better managed inside Moho during the rigging process.

If the intention is to create detailed background art or props for Moho that are scalable (resolution independent,) you might prefer to do that in Illustrator and import it to Moho. Just be aware that certain Illustrator-specific properties may get lost in the import.

If you're not hung up on using only vector artwork, Adobe Photoshop works very well for Moho. This matchup generally makes more sense since Moho currently has no bitmap painting tools. For that matter, Krita and Clip Studio Paint also work well with Moho for bitmaps. (I use all three programs to create bitmap art for Moho.)
Last edited by Greenlaw on Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gibble

Post by Gibble »

Thank you very much for the concise breakdown, DR. Very much appreciated. That helps a ton!

Moho Drawing Tools: Ultimately, I do want to deform the vectors in Moho, so I will heed your advice and create the vectors within Moho. Thanks for the tip.

I started drawing within Moho yesterday and its already feeling a bit more comfortable. That said, the Moho workflow is so odd :) I wish all graphics and animation programs would adhere to a basic set of shortcuts just to make life easier on people. Ctrl Z = undo, Ctrl C = copy, Ctrl V = paste... other applications use the same commands- and it only benefits the users in the end. That uniformity is just smart design. Software companies should all realize that the less 'friction' their tool has, the more people it will attract. But many just ignore this simple philosophy and it ultimately hurts their company.

OK- rant over :) I am stepping off my soapbox :)

Great looking demo reel, BTW D.R. You have created some fantastic work! So great to see the work you are creating w. Moho- very inspiring!!