PNG unwanted outlines

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Alonso

PNG unwanted outlines

Post by Alonso »

I've searched the forums and eventually found that the reason for the outlines' apparition is a mistake during the compilation of the file-- missing something in the transparency settings. I use photoshop; I've been using it for a while now, and this is the first time I bump into a problem I've been unable to resolve.

I'm creating a night scene-- a forest with a tree in the middle. The tree, though, has horrible white outlines that I want to get rid of. Is there anyone that can give me suggestions or advice? I've gotten frustrated =/.

BTW, I really love this program- great work, LM. I'm using it to create cutscenes for the game I'm working on (www.continent-one.com, www.natomic.com).

I thank anyone in advance.
rylleman

Post by rylleman »

How are you exporting your pngs from Photoshop?
Try using the "export for web" and use png24 as your format.
I think exporting pngs from the save as... menu might not work correctly.
Alonso

Post by Alonso »

I hadn't tried exporting them for the web, yet they still have outlines around them. Is there another program I can use to save png's w/ an alpha?

[Edit] GraphicsGale has seem to have done the trick (export>png w/ alpha). Thanks, Rylleman =).
jeff

Post by jeff »

I hope I am not throwing in a red herring here because I am not that familiar with Photoshop, but I have had problems of this sort in the past and they have ususally been down to the issue of whether the alpha channel being exported is pre-multiplied or non pre-multiplied. Certainly worth investigating. Looks like you have solved the present problem, but bear this in mind.

I have relied for many years now on a paint program called Satori which does batch conversions of differing file formats and this has helped me out of many a tight spot. I did actually pay the full price for the original program, but there is now a *freeware version and you might want to take a look:

http://www.satoripaint.com/

* I think they ask for a small amount of money for downloading the full version and this is a very generous offer

Jeff