Need basic definitions.

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

NealF

Need basic definitions.

Post by NealF »

Hi,

Been learning Moho for a while but still come up with some very basic confusions. I think this is due to some missing definitions.

I know what Flexi binding is. I know what Layer and point binding are.
But what is Region binding? Also, what is Automatic binding?

Maybe some of these terms are leftovers from earlier versions?

Thanks.
synthsin75

Re: Need basic definitions.

Post by synthsin75 »

The Moho 12 manual is actually very misleading on this. For one, it says region binding "Uses the binding style that was used by Anime Studio prior
to version 9.5." That's BS. We've had both flexible and region binding since at least Moho 4 or 5.

In the bone layer settings, Bones tab, Binding Mode:
  • Flexible binding allows a bone to have influence across the whole layer, according to its bone strength.
  • Region binding allows a bone to only influence the layer within its strength region (the red pill shape...or circle for pin bones).

Flexible binding generally works better with images and region binding generally works better when you need to isolate influence (although Bone>Use Selected Bones for Flexi-Binding can also serve that purpose...usually for groups of bones you want to have isolated influence).

Automatic binding is just the default when you haven't done any point, layer, or selected bones binding...and it operates however you set the bone layer's Binding Mode. It's generally the same as using Bone>Flexi-Bind Layer with all bones selected.

None of these terms are obsolete, and I often use every binding method and bone mode, depending on the need.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Flexible binding and Region binding are two different modes for Bones.

Flexible binding means all bones with some strength have some influence on all points.* Bones that are closer and/or have greater strength may have more influence on the points. This is the current default mode.

Region binding uses the 'pill' shape around the bones as a region of influence. Points that fall inside a bone's region are controlled by that bone.*

(*Points that use Point Binding are excluded from either mode. Point Binding explicitly binds selected points to a single bone.)

You can change the mode from the Bones layer settings.

IMO, you normally want to use Flexi-binding and Use Selected Bone For Flexi-binding. This gives you the best of both worlds.

Region binding might be easier for some users to grasp because it's more visual, but I think the result could be limiting in the long run. That said, I don't think I've ever used this mode in production so I might not be aware of any benefits.

I think you can use Point Binding with either mode.

I also like to use layer binding for groups because it's fast and easy, but only when I'm certain I won't need other bones to influence the sub-layers.

That's my understanding, anyway. Hope I got that right.

(Edit: after more thought, I felt I need to revise/clarify the above. BTW, that was a good question. I don't think I've thought as much about the differences before.) :)
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 7 times in total.
NealF

Post by NealF »

You both helped make it much clearer.

Even though I've been using Moho/Anime on and off for a while, the whole bones thing was still confusing. I've been watching tutorials from different people on the subject to get slightly different viewpoints. That's helped, but there was always something that came up when I started my own rig.

Thanks for your help.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, it can be a complicated subject, but I think most of the time, you really only need Flexi-binding and Point Binding. That said, it's good to be aware of all the options for special situations that inevitably come up.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NealF

Post by NealF »

Thanks. Nice and concise. :D