make some points neutral for some frames?

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

digiraiter

make some points neutral for some frames?

Post by digiraiter »

Hello
what I ask might be a little hard to understand
so let me explain
for some action turns. like head turns. you need different amount of points for each frame
some where you might need 10 points , but in next frame only 2 points is enough
now I want to ask, what is the best way to deal with other 8 points
Like I need a straight line and making a stright line with 10 point is kind of hard
so I want to make those point to go or snap th a part of line that play a neutral role
like there are not used in there
I think smoothing is one way
Still I ask here to make sure
Thank you a lot
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: make some points neutral for some frames?

Post by Víctor Paredes »

digiraiter wrote:Like I need a straight line and making a stright line with 10 point is kind of hard
so I want to make those point to go or snap th a part of line that play a neutral role
You can set the points to smooth and then scale all them to zero in X or Y axis.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's pretty clever, Victor. I would never have thought of that approach. :)

The downside is that this really only works if you need need the line in the very next frame because if there are in-betweens, you'll see all the inside points move to the center.

Here's another method that might help in some situations: Work backward. Draw the straight line on the frame where you need it to be straight on the using two points, and the add the segment using Add Points or Split. Move the earlier frame where the line needs to be irregular, and move the points. When you play it forward, the 'morphing' should be smooth and look more correct. Of course, this approach may require a bit of planning, like maybe prep a layer in advance to trace over.

If you find you can't add points in the later frame, make sure Enable Drawing Tools On Only Frame 0 is disabled. (You'll probably want to re-enable the option afterwards if you're not used to having it on all the time. If you forget it's off, it can really mess you up.)

Or, to go the other way, draw a straight line in a second layer and use that as a guide for where to move the points in the original layer. A quick way is to select the points you wish to move, and transform them into a straight line using rotate and scaling in one direction (i.e., enter 0 in X or Y, whichever is appropriate for making a line.) Then use rotate and move to reposition the straightened line segments between the unselected end points. (Actually, you might not need the guide for this.)
digiraiter

Post by digiraiter »

Greenlaw wrote:That's pretty clever, Victor. I would never have thought of that approach. :)

Here's another method that might help in some situations: Work backward. Draw the straight line on the frame where you need it to be straight on the using two points, and the add the segment using Add Points or Split. Move the earlier frame where the line needs to be irregular, and move the points. When you play it forward, the 'morphing' should be smooth and look more correct. Of course, this approach may require a bit of planning, like maybe prep a layer in advance to trace over....
Thanks for the help guy
I'll try this methods for sure