Noob control dial question...

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

pinkbatmax

Noob control dial question...

Post by pinkbatmax »

So I' ve made a control bone dial and made a fair little head turn, but I can't seem to cmanipulate it into rotating, only move it around the screen. It worked okay on the left turn, but when I added a right turn, it stopped working. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?
synthsin75

Re: Noob control dial question...

Post by synthsin75 »

The manipulate bone tool translates any bone without a parent. There's a modifier key you can hold (Alt) to just rotate it, or you can use the transform bone tool instead.
pinkbatmax

Post by pinkbatmax »

Thank you so much!!!!

I'm able to turn it now, but still no rotation of the face. I have the rotations as actions, though. Still trying to figure it out.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

For a smart bone dial, the action names must match the bone name exactly (or add a space and a 2 to the bone name, like "boneName 2").
pinkbatmax

Post by pinkbatmax »

synthsin75 wrote:For a smart bone dial, the action names must match the bone name exactly (or add a space and a 2 to the bone name, like "boneName 2").
That was the problem! I'd renamed the bone. Thank you!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

BTW, if you're using Moho Pro 12, one of the nice improvements is that the Smart Bone Action will automatically pick up the bone name when you create it. And for the second action, Moho will also add the space and '2' for you.

I recently had to go back to ASP 11 briefly, and not having this feature in that version made me nuts. I get spoiled so quickly. :)