Making wine stay level in glass automatically

Wondering how to accomplish a certain animation task? Ask here.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

pihms

Re: Making wine stay level in glass automatically

Post by pihms »

My thought was to try to attach a bone with physics applied. They bone would be bound to some points on the top of the shape (red box). The bone seems to be pulling down the points some of the time, but I would like to have some resistance. The idea would be to have multiple bones with physics applied to different points and it has some spring to it. The bones would always have a pulling force towards the gravity point (the bottom). The top of the shape would conform to the tipping of the glass (white shape). I'm just in the starting stage of this, but it seems that something like this should have some workability...
chucky

Post by chucky »

I saw something that had triangles instead of circles... it was a different program but I can see why it might be better for liquids.
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

I was pretty happy with the wine in the sloshing in the glass, so I decided to move on to her drinking it.

I went with a switch layer with interpolation turned on. I made several switch layers progressing until the wine had emptied out of the glass. This was fairly successful, except it killed my previous work with the bone dynamics. I added the switch layer inside my bone layer for the glass. Later I discovered I could change the bone layer to a Switch layer, and it would work just the same, but I didn't know that at the time. I didn't know I have nested Switch layers, but that's what I have now. I made a copy of the wine glass and moved it up a level and the bones worked as before, but I can switch between the full wine glass and my pouring animation now. I guess it works, and maybe I'll keep it that way. I'm not sure how the bones would affect my animation.

Anyway, here it is before I realized I could fix it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqOPHN7_MoA

Also, I've noticed a strange stuttering motion in some areas. I can't figure out where it's coming from. Some conflict in the smart bones?

Suggestions welcome.
Thanks.
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

pihms wrote:My thought was to try to attach a bone with physics applied. They bone would be bound to some points on the top of the shape (red box).
Did you take a look at what I did, in the file posted earlier?

Unless the movement is really violent, the wine should remain flat on top, so you really don't need all those points.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Stuttering could just be not enough frames in the smart bone action.
pihms

Post by pihms »

I did, and you did a awesome job with the animation and making the wine glass do what it should. Thank you for sharing the file.

I was piggy backing off of what you did and had been relating it to something that I had happened to be working on at the same time.

My interest was to have something similar but self-leveling at the top, possibly, bring in some dynamics that would allow for some sloshing waves. Chucky's sloshes and moves in a dynamic way, but as he pointed out, it's a bit syrupy. My goal is to see how much I can take it up with the physics and dynamics of the program to give it that realistic watery movement. You are much further that what I have been able to achieve, but I'm looking at it in a bigger perspective that can also be applied to other things down the road. Here is what I created, but I'm just using smart bone dials and adjusting the points on a timeline to make it work.
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

pihms wrote:Here is what I created, but I'm just using smart bone dials and adjusting the points on a timeline to make it work.
Could you post an animation of it?

I was thinking of linking that to a bone with Independent Angle, like Synthsin75 suggested. I am using version 9 of A.S., so I don't have that option, but if I did, I would have used that on WineLevel bone in my rig.

Maybe you could create some actions, like a pose, where the liquid sloshes up. I'm not very knowledgeable about smart bone dials yet, but maybe you could create a pose with a slosh on one side, and a slosh on the other, and tie that to a dynamic bone? I don't really know if that's possible. It wouldn't be truly physics, but it might look nice.

I am working on a wine pour from a spout today.

Thanks,
Don
pihms

Post by pihms »

Here is what I created, it works but not producing the actual physics that I wanted:
https://37244295-105657374149591364.pre ... ture_3.mp4
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

pihms wrote:Here is what I created, it works but not producing the actual physics that I wanted:
Okay, I see. That's cool.
What I propose is that you create another dial like that with slosh effects in a Switch layer, and use a dynamic bone like I set up as an angle control bone for your dial.

I was playing around with that, but I had to get back to work.
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

Here is my latest work, wine pouring into a glass. Not perfect, but not too bad I think.

https://youtu.be/bIGqakuX8t4
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

Here's Glendora magically pouring a glass of wine, then drinking it up.

https://youtu.be/q2JA1ySFW_0

It took some work to get it all working together. I still have problems occasionally with the dynamic bones, extreme wobbling, not working. Usually it all renders correctly though. But one time tonight it rendered the odd extreme wobbling. This version looks okay, until the very end. I have no idea.

Also, I did something when I created the wine box that I can't figure out. It's sort of in perspective, and it changes with the camera zoom and pan. I know I selected something, but I can't remember what. It's like it's in 3D space.

Any critique or suggestions welcome.
Thanks!
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

SpaceBoy64 wrote:Also, I did something when I created the wine box that I can't figure out. It's sort of in perspective, and it changes with the camera zoom and pan. I know I selected something, but I can't remember what. It's like it's in 3D space
you might like to check the z coordinates in the group / vector layers that make up the box. from the general style I'm guessing that you want them all to be the same (probably 0?) as the other elements.
justoshow

Post by justoshow »

SpaceBoy64 wrote:Thanks! Here it is added to my character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F18iiRqtP08
Pretty good! Looks like you got it.
pihms

Post by pihms »

Nice work! I'll give your suggestions a try. Thanks!
SpaceBoy64

Post by SpaceBoy64 »

hayasidist wrote:
SpaceBoy64 wrote:Also, I did something when I created the wine box that I can't figure out. It's sort of in perspective, and it changes with the camera zoom and pan. I know I selected something, but I can't remember what. It's like it's in 3D space
you might like to check the z coordinates in the group / vector layers that make up the box. from the general style I'm guessing that you want them all to be the same (probably 0?) as the other elements.
Thanks. That wasn't it, all were at zero, but I had rotated the layer, which made it look like it was in perspective. I set that back to zero as well and that fixed it, except that I had tried to compensate for it moving around by setting keyframes, so I'll have to go back and delete those.